~Chapter Fourteen~

not edited

I stumbled down the long staircase as my stomach lurched painfully but I ignored it. I hadn't had anything in the last twenty four hours and I deserved it. 

It was my punishment.

My punishment for getting a E on the test.

A week after the audition, I got my marks for the Maths test. It wasn't a pleasant experience. The whole period Miss Whipple was taunting me while I tried my best to ignore her. It was hard because she was the vice-principal and having taught all of my brothers she must think I'm some kind of genius. Throughout the whole day, I did not miss the looks of disappointment the teachers gave me. Neither did I miss the dumb person jokes from students. I hadn't been to school for a week and here I was, letting every single person, I don't even know, down. 

The rest of the day was pretty normal, with me following the rules and the punishment. I hadn't told Octavian my grade yet but I will tell him after school today.

But today morning was anything but normal. I was woken up by Zion two hours before my alarm. Apparently, he had a guest arriving today. The guest was not a good one. 

I sprinted out of the living room, barefoot, as Zion chased me. With a fucking tarantula in his hand. That was his guest. I shrieked as he got closer and took a sharp right, running down the hallway as footsteps echoed behind me, "Just look at him. I swear he is the cutest being ever," Zion whined loudly as I ran like there's no tomorrow. 

"You dumb-dumb person," I shouted as I crossed rooms, "That thing is quite the opposite of cute," I exclaimed as I rushed through the glass doors. I shivered a little as the two hoodies and one top I had layered, did little to nothing to protect me from the cold.

Two days ago we received the news that there was going to be a mild snowstorm on Wednesday, which is the day after tomorrow. There was the lightest snowfall for like two hours yesterday night, it was beautiful. 

But right now, it wasn't. The thin layer of snow had melted away and the ground was as cold as death. I ran barefoot over it, trying to create as much distance as possible between me and the tarantula. I turned right, towards the pool area and the backyard and saw Dorian, with a cigarette between his lips. He was dressed in what looked like the thickest hoodie and sweats as he gazed into the distance. I tried to walk away softly without alerting him but loud footsteps from the side alarmed me. 

I gulped as Zion came into my view, he was less than five feet with the damn creature in his hand. He inched forward as I stepped back. I was taking longer steps. 

Almost suddenly his eyes widened and leaped forward. I let out a shrill sound as I jumped back. I did not realize the lack of ground under my feet before I had jumped back. 

A loud shout escaped me as gravity worked it's magic. "Fu-" Zion started but I couldn't hear the rest as I gasped and shut my eyes closed. My body felt heavy as the chilling water surrounded. It was like thousands of pins and needles poking me all at one. An unhealthy amount of water entered my mouth and nose as I struggled to get to the top.

I barely knew how to swim. I was flapping my arms around, trying to get through the top. I desperately needed some oxygen and it was getting hard right now. 

Before I knew it, two arms wrapped themselves around my waist as I flinched a little. I soon realized it was one of my brothers and I clung onto him with all of my might as I clutched the fine hoodie in my tiny hands. 

He skillfully swam upwards with me in his hand. Soon enough we broke the upper layer of water as I gasped and coughed. Greedily filling my lungs with air, I look around me to see Dorian, holding me tightly against him as he softly rubbed my back. As soon as my gaze met his soft one, it hardened. He saw towards the edge with me in his hands, and as soon as he had made sure that I was safe, his hand disappeared from my sides as he swam towards the stairs. Suddenly, I was a little too aware of the chilly wind blowing, that made me shiver. My clothes were completely drenched as I shivered wildly.