~Chapter Thrity-Three~

I slid down beside Esai, sitting on the floor, smiling at me. He looked a little disheveled but other than that he was normal, sweet, and as polite as ever. As much as Aaron tried to warn me, and put me off from talking to him, I didn’t see any of the signs that Aaron said he saw. 

“How’s your sister?” I asked softly. He looked at me, as if trying to find answers and solve me as if I was a puzzle.

“The medicine’s been messing with her a little but they say she’ll settle soon. She’s with her aunt now,” He muttered, slumping a little. He hid it, but I felt the helplessness rolling off of him.

“What about your parents?” I asked, trying to change the topic.

“We’re not blood-related. She’s my neighbor’s niece and since my parents’ were convicted, she took me in as I was almost a legal adult. I’ve watched Sera grow even though I didn’t live with them until like the past two months. She’s been family far more than my parents could even try to be. And I’m grateful for Ana for giving me a place to stay.” He replied.

Well shit, that got a lot happier.

I bit my lip, not knowing what to say. He’s been through some shit and i know it must be hard. Before I could say anything else and probably worsen the mood, Carrie walks in. "I've given up on trying to keep you out of the girls' room," She sighed.

Esai smirked playfully, "You know it Carrie,"

"Just get out Esai, Miss Alex is looking for you," She said as she walked over to us. Esai chuckled in response before standing up, giving me a last glance and walking out.

"Hey kid," Carrie muttered as she sat down on the bench in front of me, "how are you doing?" She asked. She looked genuinely concerned. It unnerved me, how much everyone cared here. Everyone, since I came here two months ago, has been nothing but kind and polite and always looking out for me.

Do I truly deserve all this?

I nodded, "Better than before?"

"Well, we're all here for you, yeah? Just come to me or James or even Miss Alex if you ever need to talk to anyone," She said with a small smile. I nodded in response as she stood up and softly patted my head before walking towards the door. "Come on, I suppose Esai must have found out by now that nobody was looking for him."

I laughed out loud at Carrie's antics. She was amazing, one the best truly. 

***

I walked out of the dance building, tired. The practice was successful, Esai and I nailed everyone of the lifts and jumps and the dancing was just flawless. I chuckled at James and Carrie bickering at something before my eyes landed on him.

Aaron.

Leaning against his sleek black car. 

Right in front of me. 

I absent-mindedly bid Carrie and James goodbye, not taking my eyes off of the beautiful specimen waiting for me. I rushed over to him as his smirk turned into a soft smile. My lips curled into a smile as well as I stood in front of him. 

"What are you doing here?" I asked, still smiling. 

"No hello sweetheart?" He asked, his deep soothing voice sending butterflies straight to my stomach. That little nickname did not go amiss as red creeper up my and probably took over my whole face. 

I suppressed my smile and narrowed my eyes to cover my my actual emotions, "I'm quite upset at you," I muttered, and I was. He was quite rude and demanding yesterday. He was a close friend but he had no right to tell me what to do or how to live my life.