~Chapter Ten~

not edited

~*~

I ran behind Lydel, with my hand shielding my eyes from the pouring rain. I hear her giggle a little as her wbite sneakers get destroyed by the mud. 

"Stop laughing, you idiot," I muttered, running behind her. 

We came back from the clearing area and Lydel asked me to change into something casual as we were going to explore the city. I quickly did as asked and as soon as I came down, I noticed she was on her phone with changed clothes, talking to Octavian on the phone.

"Take a car with you guys, it's getting darker. So, just in case anything happens, you guys are safe," Octavian said, in a strict, no-bullshit tone. Which is always his tone but oh well.

"Yeah, we'll see. But about darker thing, the clouds aren't really dark, so nothing will happen, it might be because of the sunsetting," Lydel said, trying to convince him.

"Lydel, take a car with you guys," Octavian repeated.

"But we won't be able to walk around properly," She whined. 

I heard a faint sigh from the other end before he speaks up again, "Don't walk all the way there. Take a car, park it somewhere near where you guys are going. You can walk around but come back in the car. Is that alright?" 

"We'll see," She replied as her eyes landed on me. 

"Lydel," He said again in a tone of warning. My eyes widened and I lifted my left hand and dragged it right to left in front of my neck while mouthing 'mission abort' to her.

She just rolled her eyes in response and went back to the call, "Alright, we'll take the car," she said, defeated.

After that we went to watch a movie, had dinner at a homely cafe and we were walking down the street to the car when a light drizzle started. I looked at Lydel accusingly.

"Um, weather reports are not hundred percent accurate," She replied in a sheepish tone, shrugging a little.

I just rolled my eyes and we quickened our walk towards the car. At that moment I was just grateful that Octavian had forced us to take a car, because it was most definitely coming in handy. 

Soon, a familiar car came into view. I rushed over to it, not liking the way my wet clothes stuck to my skin. Something about half-wet clothes on me just makes my skin crawl. My hand landed on the handle as I tried to open it.

"It's not opening," I muttered, my eyes squinted due to the raindrops on my face. She looked confused as she tried it for herself. The door didn't budge. By now the rain had gotten a lot faster and I was not enjoying it one bit. 

Lydel started looking around for the driver. He had the keys, if the car wasn't opening meaning he wasn't here or he would've opened the door when he saw us trying. I quickly rushed under the shade of a shop. Lydel soon followed as I whipped out my new phone.

Going through numbers, I called the driver. The call did not go through and I tried again. But before it could start ringing, my phone died. I let out a small aggravated scream before turning to Lydel.

"We need to get home. The rain ain't stopping. The driver's not picking up and my phone has no network connection on my phone to call for help," She said.

"Please I don't want to do that," I said as I looked at her with a defeated expression. She looked at me with a blank look which she reciprocated. 

And that's how we ended up running on the footpaths two blocks away from the humongous ass mansion. The water splashed beneath my feet as I cringed. I hated running in the rain where all kinds of mud would get stuck to my shoes and jeans.