Part 9: Deadly Calm

What's going on?!

You look around frantically, but there was nothing around you but the quiet sound of the wind.

Kazuha sighs and his eyes narrow, as if seeing something that you're missing. "Can't even make it to Inazuma City without being interrupted, can we? Come out now, show yourselves!"

Poof!

Before you and Kazuha now stands a band of rough-looking Treasure Hoarders. The largest of them, who you assume is their leader, steps forward with an annoyed grunt.

"Well well, looks like someone was on their guard, eh? Heh, without that quick stunt of yours, your little friend here might not have been so lucky."

The rest of the treasure hoarders snicker, and your throat tightens with anger. You pick yourself off the ground and confidently stand next to Kazuha, spear at the ready. He gives you a slight smile before addressing the hoarders.

"Unfortunately for all of you, you've caught me just before my afternoon nap. On top of that, you've angered my dear companion. How unwise of you."

The leader rolls his eyes. "Riiight, speaking of wise, it would be smart of you both to hand over those boxes behind you before things get ugly."

You hold back a giggle.
These guys obvious didn't know it's just firework supplies. But Kazuha keeps his serious gaze.

"I'm afraid those supplies do not belong with you. Pity, had you continued past our little group, things could've been easier for you."

"Why you-!" The leader growls before charging towards Kazuha.

Suddenly, a single red maple leaf falls slowly from the deep orange sky, fluttering softly in the wind. You watch it, confused.

A maple leaf? Where did that— huh?!

The second you look back at your pursuers, you're met with a massive anemo whirlwind, and the bodies of the treasure hoarders dissolving into light blue particles right before your eyes.

And there, amidst the howling gale, stands Kazuha, holding his blade as if it were but an extension of himself. His red eyes reflected the blue-green of the wind before him, shining with a deadly calm.

As the anemo wind disperses, your gaze still locks onto Kazuha. He lowers his blade, the last of the wind fading from the air around him.

"You... you just..." but you can't the words to properly convey your thoughts. You haven't let go of your spear, though there was no need to use it now.

Your light-haired companion approaches you calmly, placing his warm hand on your shoulder.

"Oh? Are you injured?" His eyes, filled moments ago with an eerie fire, now fill with concern.

You force yourself to relax and take a deep breath. "No no, I'm perfectly fine. It's just... the way you fought just now..."

You lift your head, looking Kazuha right in the eyes.
"Who are you, really?"