Part 23: 💕Lonely Together💕

(Kazuha's Point of View)
(The character Avel is an original character created by the author)

"I would be honored to hear your tale." I say, gazing at Y/N's anxious features. Without knowing it, they had tensed their arms and shoulders, and I would not be surprised if they had a headache.

Y/N relaxes a small bit before leading me over to a rocky area filled with orange boulders. Analyzing the scenery, I can safely assume we're near Musou Blade Canyon, not far from the Resistance camp at Nazuchi Beach.

I take a seat on the boulder, placing my chin in my hands and giving my companion my full and undivided attention.

I'd known something was wrong as soon as they'd tensed up after we ate lunch. They suddenly had the distinct scent of someone tormented, of someone longing for something lost. In truth, I was desperately hoping they would open up, but it's impolite to demand such things of others. Thus, I opted to lend my ear instead, to tell them bluntly that I was willing to listen. Thankfully, it seems they wished to speak on the topic as well.

As Y/N sits on the boulder beside me, taking in a deep breath of fresh night air, I ponder still what could trouble them so.

The jovial, carefree Mondstat photographer, somehow swept up in the restless waves of Inazuma's troubles. The kind soul, a friend to all no matter their background. What have they lost... or who?

I think back to my own losses, and recall a phrase I once said to Y/N when we first met.

Every wanderer has their story.

Y/N clears their throat, brushing their hair out of their face. "So, when I was younger, I had two very good friends who I did everything with. We'd go on little adventures, make up silly pranks, get into needless trouble, just... be kids."

They smile faintly, bright eyes drifting off to the horizon. I imagine they're picturing it now, those fond days of youth surrounded by loved ones. My heart aches for days of the past too, though I can barely recall my own.

"One of them was named Bennett, who I'm still really great friends with to this day, even though he spends a lot of his time taking care of the elders in the Adventurer's Guild now. He's a fiery little guy with tons of energy and optimism, even though he has the worst luck in the world." Y/N giggles happily.

"Luck? What do you mean?" I ask, curious. I was unsure of how "bad luck" really affected a person.

Y/N thinks for a moment. "Ah, here's an example! Y'know how when you go exploring and find a golden chest, you'll get lots of good rewards?"

"Mhmm."

"Well, when Benny finds a golden chest, he'll just find two pieces of meat and a vegetable! That's it! Or if he goes adventuring alone, he'll almost certainly fall or get trapped somewhere for days, and someone will have to go save him! Misfortune follows him everywhere, but he's still so chipper all the time. He's such a great friend, I think you'd like him."

"Well, with the way you talk about him, I imagine I would," I say kindly. It was nice to see them happy. "And your other friend?"

Y/N's face falls, and they go back to being serious. "His name was Avel. He was the quiet but curious sort, and he really loved animals. He and I used to go out in the woods looking for Benny and pretend we were detectives! Oh, and he had an anemo vision like you. He was... really special to me."

Their voice grows quiet, and my heart sinks. They had obviously been very close, but something awful must've happened. Thoughts of my own dear friend flicker through my mind.

"And... where is he now?" I ask quietly, though I believe I already know the answer.

They take a deep breath. "About two years ago, Grand Master Varka of the Knights of Favonius gathered up the city's elite and went on a very long expedition. These elite included my parents and Avel's parents, and left my friend Jean in charge as the Acting Grand Master. But... he wanted to go so badly..."

Their eyes begin to water, but no tears fall. "I told him it was dangerous, that we were too young and inexperienced, but he insusted. Two days after the party left Mondstat, Avel simply said "Farewell" and went off after them. I begged him to let me go too, but he said it was too dangerous. We... got a letter two months later. Varka's party had found him, o-or what was left of him..."

Something in their eyes snaps, and the salty tears finally flow down their cheeks. I quickly wrap an arm around them, gently rubbing their back as they sob into my shoulder. I feel a strange sense of deja by, as it was only recently someone had done this for me too.

"Is that why you really left your home?" I say softly.

In truth, I did the very same.

"S-Sort of..." they mumble, wiping their eyes with a shaky hand. "I just.. I just don't think he's gone, is all... he's smart, and resourceful. I-I think I can find him. No, I have to find him. It's my responsibility."

I smile, warmth filling my heart. After all this time, they had never abandoned their old companion. Perhaps their intentions began as cowardice, but they have grown into a clear sense of responsibility.

"A true friend..." I murmur.

They smile faintly. "I don't even know what that really means."

We both lapse into a heavy, but comfortable silence, listening to sounds of the night echoing around us.

I decide to speak my mind. It is only fair, after all that they have shared. "I once had a dear friend as well." I begin, but Y/N simply nods.

"Yes, the Traveler told me of your story. I guess we're... kind of the same." They laugh quietly before returning to their sullen state. "But at least you had the courage to go home."

Courage...

My arm still around Y/N's shoulders, I take a deep breath and lean my head against their's. "Yes, I suppose we are very much the same. Cowards clothed in courage."

We sit like this for a long while, quietly replaying the past in the back of our minds. And yet, I think we both know that we must keep moving forward.

I'd buried my own loneliness for so long, but as soon as I saw their tears, it all came rushing back to me.

"During a season of lonliness and isolation is when the caterpillar grows its wings..." I muse. Y/N rolls their eyes and grins.

"Still a poet, huh?" they say with a smile.

"No no, I am simply a wanderer." I reply.

I don't think I've felt this comfortable around someone since his noble passing.

I feel... warm.