Part 16: Cunning But Longing✨

Before you and the Traveler set off to find the Resistance's location, you sneak your way down the sea shore to say one last goodbye to the Naganoharas.

Was this how Kazuha felt as a fugitive?

As your feet brush the cool sand, you can almost feel the soft breathing of a quiet samurai watching over you. But, when you turn your head, there only stands the Traveler, their gaze looking off to the horizon.

Perhaps both of you were missing someone.

Finally, you make it to the Naganoharas, just as a loud boom comes from inside, followed by a plume of smoke..

"WHAT?! You're a wanted criminal?! I'm so proud of you!" Yoimiya exclaims after you explain your situation, clapping her hands excitedly. The ends of her ponytail stuck straight out like fireworks, the ends tinted slightly black. The Traveler facepalms.

You quickly shush your fiery friend. "Yoi, you have to be quiet about this, we don't want to give our location away! Anyway, the Traveler and I are going to find the Watatsumi Island Resistance. I promise I'll be back once this ridiculous decree is abolished!"

For a second, you think you see a small tear in Yoimiya's amber eyes, but it quickly disappears and is replaced by a warm smile. "Aww man, I'm so proud of you Y/N! Go on then, show 'em what you're made of!"

She wraps you up in a big hug, and you feel your heart swell happily. At this point, Yoimiya was like a sister to you, and you loved her for it.

"Sadly, I think it's about time we head out. It's not safe to stay in one place for too long." The Traveler says gently.

Yoimiya lets go of you and ruffles your hair fondly. "Be safe, 'kay?"

You nod. "Will do. See you soon!"

You begin to turn away, until a thought suddenly crosses your mind.

"Hey Yoi! Wanna take a picture before we go?"

Yoimiya sparkle like a child's. "Really?! Can I be in your fancy album?"

You smile kindly. "Of course! After all, you were my first friend in Inazuma."

"Alrighty then! C'mon you two, say cheese!" Yoimiya wraps you and the Traveler in a big hug.

Click!

"It's perfect," you grin, showing off the cute photo. Even the Traveler was smiling. "Okay, now goodbye for reals!"

With a final wave of your hand, the Traveler leads you down the shores of Inazuma City, and beyond.

The day trudges on with every step you take, and before long, nightfall descends like a blanket of coolness after the hot sun.

Suddenly, the Traveler abruptly stops, and you almost crash into them. You open your mouth to speak, but they put a finger to their lips. Then they crouch behind a leafy bush you both had just been walking past.

We're hiding now?

You hesitantly crouch down beside them, and no sooner had you disappeared behind the bush than two guards, dressed in the attire of the Tenryou Commission, round the corner.

Whew, good call Traveler!

The one on the left sighs, his eyebrows twitching in annoyance. "Man, why do we always gotta patrol in the worst areas, huh? We never get to see any action!"

"Agreed," says the guard on the right, eyes filled with boredom. "Wish I was out fighting the Resistance, that would be much more fun than this."

The left one rolls his eyes. "Pffft, those guys? Like they even stand a chance against the Shogunate. Last I heard we'd backed them up to Nazuchi Beach. They have no manpower, and aren't gaining ground anyway."

The right one yawns. "Yeah, guess you're right... C'mon let's hurry past this place, there's nothing here anyway."

"Ugh, back to work."

As the two bored guards move further and further away from your leafy hiding place, you shoot the Traveler a smile. They smile back at you with a thumbs up.

Information jackpot!

After cautiously waiting a good ten minutes, you and the Traveler pick up your pace once again, heading towards the Nazuchi Beach mentioned by the guards. Thankfully the Traveler had a map, otherwise you would've been lost in an instant.

Once again, you both lapse into a comfortable silence. As you tread over grass and ground, your mind wanders back to its favorite subject as of late; Kaedehara Kazuha. Something about that young samurai intrigued you, but you couldn't place your finger on what exactly it was.

Was it the way his crimson eyes lit up when he spoke about the things he enjoyed? Or the unwavering confidence he held in his own bladework? Was it the way the red streak in his hair glimmered when the sun was low in the sky? Or maybe it was his smile, always genuine but somehow also sad? How confusing...

Then you remembered something. You look over at the Traveler.

Perhaps they're thinking of their sibling...

"Hey Traveler, have you ever met a wanderer named Kaedehara Kazuha?"