Part 24: 🐚 A Secret Mission 🐚

(Back to Your POV)

You take a deep breath of the ocean-scented air as you put on your shoes in the small cabin you had been staying in.

Yesterday, you'd opened up to Kazuha about the real reason you'd left your home, and you really felt like you had a connection with him. Your heart still flutters as you recall his strong but gentle arm wrapped around your shoulders.

You hadn't realized how similar your stories were until you told him yours, and it was... nice. Perhaps you never needed to bottle up all of those ugly emotions after all. Maybe there was someone you could finally talk to about it.

Right there and then, you make a solemn promise to yourself.

When the time is right, I'll tell him.
I'll tell Kazuha exactly how I feel about him.

But, today was a day to focus.

This morning, Kazuha woke you up with an urgent message from General Gorou. Her Excellency wished to see you and Kazuha on Watatsumi Island for a special mission, and you were beyond excited. You'd felt a bit stagnant and unhelpful to the Resistance as of late, but now you felt it was your time to shine.

Once you're ready, you bounce out of the camp and rush across the beach towards the docks to meet up with Kazuha.

"Ready to go?" He calls to you as you approach, leaning on the side of the small boat that was waiting. The crimson streak in his hair flutters with the breeze, and you felt warm when he smiled at you.

"All set!" You say as you run up next to him. He gestures to the sturdy boat.

"Here, take my hand," Kazuha offers, and he gently helps you step onto the vessel.

He gets in right after you, and the sailor driving cheerfully waves hello. "To Watatsumi?"

"Indeed, good sir," Kazuha answers with a polite nod, and off the ship flies across crystal waves and distant shores.

You take a long and deep breath before turning to your samurai companion, the wind brushing against your cheeks. "So what do you think Lady Sangonomiya has in store for us?"

"I am not too sure at present, but, from what I've gathered while listening to the troops, it seems our secret supplier also provided some dangerous weaponry. "Kazuha yells slightly, the loud gale whipping his hair back and forth. "These "delusions" as they are called, act as Visions but draw from a person's life force. Thus, many soldiers have suddenly aged much too quickly, and now their health is at stack." He frowns.

You put a hand over your mouth, horrified. "That's just awful... but why would anyone give out these delusions? What would they gain?"

Kazuha's eyes narrow and his eyebrows furrow. "To put it simply, chaos. Turmoil will cause the Resistance to falter, thus keeping Inazuma in a paralyzed state of disarray."

"I see..."

Your heart aches as you think of the Traveler and Teppei, desperately hoping they themselves hadn't accidentally used a delusion.

Finally, your feet touch down on the brightly colored ground of Watatsumi Island. The air seemed much more peaceful here, and one would never guess that an infamous military strategist was working behind the scenes in such a calm place.

Kazuha bows to the sailor who manned the small ship. "Thank you for our safe passage."

"Oi, don't mention it. I'll be back 'ere when yer a-heading out again." The cheery fellow replies with a jovial grin before leading his boat to a proper place to dock.

"Follow me," Kazuha advises, and you walk behind him past majestic flowing waterfall and strong wooden bridges until you finally reach the Shrine of Sangonomiya.

"Wow, everything here seems as if it was made with such care and love," you gawk in awe at the area surrounding you.

"Thank you kindly," comes a soft voice from the stairs before you. You quickly turn your head to see her, Sangomiya Kokomi, gracefully descending the stairs with a resounding aura of sophistication about her.

She politely bows to you, her long multicolored hair almost brushing the ground. "Why hello, I am glad to finally meet you! My comrades Gorou, Beidou, and of course Kazuha, have told me much about you and your works."

Your face flushes a small bit. "R-Really? They actually talk about me?"

Kazuha chuckles next to you. "Do not fret. We spoke only the highest of praises."

"ItMs true. I've only heard good things," Kokomi reassures you, but then her face grows serious. "Now, I do hate to cut the pleasantries short, but I'm afraid our situation has become much more dire."

"D-Dire? What's happened?" You ask worriedly. Suddenly, you feel a gentle tug on your right hand. You look to see Kazuha, as calm and collected as ever, taking your right hand with his left, his palm perpendicular to yours as he wraps his fingers around the back of your hand.

"Please explain the situation to us, my lady," he says smoothly. Meanwhile, you were focused on keeping your heart from exploding out of your chest.

Kokomi clears her throat before speaking in a firm voice. "Well, as you may have heard, counterfeit visions were obtained by some of our troops that drain their life force instead of drawing from elemental power, which has put a huge dent in our progress and morale. So, in order to stop the distribution of these "delusions", I pinpointed the location of the factory where they were being made. But..." her face falls, and her eyes cloud up.

"I relayed this information to the Traveler, who is now the Captain of the Swordfish 2 Unit, and they immediately sprang into action. While I originally asked you both here to accompany them in raiding the Delusion Factory, now I must ask you to protect the Traveler before they go and do something reckless."

"Understood, we'll depart at once. Do  you have a map to this location?" Kazuha replies quickly, his eyes clear and focused.

Kokomi nods fervently, taking out a small paper from a bag at her side. "Yes, take this. The sailors should be expecting you. And please, move as swiftly as you can!"

"Don't worry Your Excellency, we'll catch up!" You say with feigned confidence. In truth, you weren't sure how far ahead the Traveler already was.

"Let us go," Kazuha says, firmly leading you back towards the dock with haste.

You do your best to keep up, but Kazuha's steps were fast and light, as if he were walking on air. But, even though you were likely slowing him down...

He was still holding your hand.