Chapter 13

They got dressed and packed a few things in a bag, just in case. Less that 10 minutes later they were in the car on their way to Grey Sloan. Robert driving, Andy in the back sit trying to calm Maddie as much as she could.

But the little four year old was crying in pain so hard that both her parents hearts were breaking.

"Baby it's okay we're on the way to the hospital and the best doctors there are gonna take care of you and help you feel better"

"Mommy it hurts" Maddie kept crying.
"I know sweetly just stay strong until we get to the hospital"

They parked the car and Robert picked Maddie up in one hand and held Andy's hand in the other giving it a light squeeze of comfort.

They went into the ER and met Meredith "Herrera? What are you doing here?"

"Maddie's in pain since yesterday's morning. It got so bad we didn't know what to do other than come in" Andy replied with concern.

"Okay let's see what's going on" Robert put Maddie down on the bed Meredith told him to.

Maddie brought her knees up to her chest, trying to ease the pain a little.

"Hey Maddie, my name is Meredith I need to take a look at you could you help me and tell where it hurts?" She said sweetly and Maddie nodded in response "my tummy" the four year old sound so sore and in such a suffer that both her parents's hearts were breaking.

Meredith moved the girl's legs back down to make it easier for her to check what was going on and started examining her stomach area.

She started feeling around the abdomen and then pressed on one point on Maddie's stomach and the girl yelled in pain "what happened?" Robert asked, worry written all over his expression.

Meredith turned to the nurse "can you page Alex Karev?"

"But he's not on call..." the nurse responded.

"I know but they're my friends, they deserve the best" Meredith turned back to the couple.

"Okay, so I'm positive she has appendicitis. I'm gonna have to do one more test to make sure but she's gonna need a surgery. It's just a one hour surgery, it's routine. Alex is the best pediatric surgeon we have and one of my best friends he's gonna take really good care of her"

"Oh my god... surgery?" Andy got a little panicked but made sure not to show it to her daughter.
She knew she must me so scared and didn't want to make it worse.

Robert wrapped one arm around her shoulder and Meredith looked at his action and smiled to herself as Andy leaned into his touch "it's gonna be just fine don't worry. I also had me appendix removed when I was around her age" Robert said in a comforting voice, caressing Maddie's head softly with his other hand.

"I didn't know that" Andy looked up to him for a moment.

"Well you do now".

"Nurse Lana here is gonna take you all to a private room in the pids floor okay?" Meredith said and smiled softly to her friend "I'll come by later, hopefully before she goes into surgery"

"Yeah okay. Thank you so much Meredith " Andy replied as Meredith turned to walk away.

-

"You're ready?" Alex asked as he walked into the room to take Maddie to her surgery.

"Is it gonna hurt?"

"Nope. You will be sleeping the whole time. You won't remember or feel a thing" Alex responded.