The Past Catches Up

Aizawa stands outside Midoriya's door. He didn't mean to eavesdrop on their conversation, it just kind of happened. Once he heard the kid start to open up, he just had to listen in. What if Midoriya never told him about his past? It's his responsibility as the kid's new legal guardian to help him, and how can he do that if he doesn't know anything about what happened to the vigilante?

Before Aizawa can spiral too far in his own thoughts, Midoriya's voice calls through the door. "I know you're listening. I finished my story so you can come in now, Aizawa!"

This kid. And Aizawa thought he was being stealthy.

The hero sheepishly walks into the room and leans against the wall.

"Hitoshi, can you put Eri to bed? I need to speak with Midoriya."

Hitoshi rolls his eyes and leaves the room. He may have an attitude but he always respects what Aizawa asks of him.

"What do you want to talk about?" Midoriya asks.

"To put it simply, you."

"But that topic has been too drawn out already," he whines.

"What you told Hitoshi does explain some things, but not nearly enough. I know that doing hero work takes a toll on a person. Not to mention all the preparation heroes typically have before they go out onto the field. But you didn't have any of that. How were you able to get so good in such a short time? What have you experienced that makes you seem so much older than you actually are?"

"First of all, I am not a 'hero' nor do I do 'hero work'. I am a vigilante who saves people and stops crime. That's it. Second, life was my preparation. If you were listening to my story, then you know I have experienced my fair share of beatings from a young age. Sure, I wasn't able to fight back then, but I knew how to. You see, every time someone would lay a hand on me, I was watching them. I would analyze their moves and learn the best ways to combat them. Then I went out on the street and applied what I learned. It's that simple. Third, I seem a lot older than I actually am because I have been through shit that nobody my age is supposed to go through. Does that answer suffice?" he says, thoroughly peeved.

"For those questions, yes. And I apologize for comparing you to heroes." Aizawa says, trying to get back on Midoriya's good side.

The kid's annoyed face reverts to his typical guarded one.

"Also, as you so eloquently put it, you 'have been through shit that nobody [your] age is supposed to go through.' Care to elaborate?"

"Not really," he says, scratching at his wrists.

"Why don't you start with those?" Aizawa asks, pointing at his wrists.

He hides his wrists with his hands and looks down, not saying anything.

"Please, kid. I'm just trying to help."

"I got them from a villain," he says.

---

Izuku is emotionally exhausted after talking to Hitoshi, and Aizawa's additional questions aren't doing him any favors. First, the man comes in thinking he can interrogate Izuku, and then he starts comparing him to heroes! Is it that hard to just let dead dreams lie?

Izuku thinks about telling Aizawa off, but he quickly takes in their current situation. He is a quirkless kid the hero pulled off the streets. Aizawa saved his life and is now offering him a place to stay and food to eat without any form of repayment. It would be really disrespectful of him to tell the man off in his own home, especially when he's been so kind. He really is just trying to help.