Common Ground

Midoriya's POV

I give Todoroki one of my bone-chilling smiles. I wasn't expecting him to be able to land a solid hit on me. I have to say, it's kind of fun. Looking at the determined look on Todoroki's face, I can see that he is focused and ready to take me on will all he's got. 

Before I can think, a wave of ice comes right at me. I manage to jump out of the way just in time. I can barely catch my breath as wave after wave of ice comes at me. I see a shadow move in front of me. I look up just in time to dodge a fire attack coming from above. Todoroki comes seemingly out of thin air to deliver this attack. In all probability, he most likely used his ice quirk to gain higher ground while I was distracted. Pretty smart. 

We get into hand-to-hand combat. I have to make sure none of his attacks meet their mark or his quirk could cause devastating results. It's a good thing I am a connoisseur at close combat.

Todoroki's punches are fast, but he doesn't utilize his legs very much. I am able to dodge a punch to the face and return one just as quickly. He doubles over, clutching his nose. I then kick him in the knee and he goes down.

I am fairly certain he's done when I go to pin him, but then he rolls out of the way! He makes it to his feet and wipes away the blood on his face caused by a broken nose. He closes the distance between us and delivers consecutive blows using both fire and ice. I manage to block all of them. My arms are starting to sting due to the constant barrage of attacks. The next punch he throws, I grab his arm and yank it behind his back. I go to throw him on the ground and he burns me! I shove him away from me and put out the fire spreading up my sleeves. A nice array of scars are now on display. I hope no one sees them.

Todoroki comes at me again- this guy is ruthless! -with an icy punch to the gut. It's my turn to be thrown to the ground. I can tell I'm starting to lose it. All the previous fighting plus my not-fully-healed injuries from not too long ago are starting to make themselves known. I'm getting a bit sloppy and noticeably slower. My decline has increased Todoroki's lust for victory. I have to pull myself together to beat him!

I hop up from the dirt. Now it's my turn to deliver a barrage of attacks. I land punches to his stomach and face as well as kicks to his ribs. Of course, I can't go all out on my attack, but steady weak attacks should be enough to bring him down without hurting him too much. On that note, I go to throw another punch to his face and he dodges. In the action of dodging one punch, he leans right into another. Todoroki drops.

I stand back to see if he'll get back up. He doesn't. Aizawa calls the match.

The rest of the class is shocked that someone without a quirk was able to defeat the great Shoto Todoroki.

Recovery Girl was on standby and reached the spot where Todoroki was lying on the ground unconscious.

"He's just worn himself out; that final punch pushed him over the edge. He'll be fine," she informs us.

I let out a breath I didn't remember holding. I am relieved that I didn't hurt him too badly.

"However you, my boy, must go to the infirmary immediately. You have two broken ribs and multiple burns that need tending to. Follow me," Recovery Girl orders.

I follow the school nurse inside the building, Todoroki, being carried by Aizawa, is not far behind. She brings us into a hospital-looking room with two beds. Aizawa plops Todoroki down on the one closest to the door.

"I trust you won't run away if I leave?" Aizawa asks me.

I am reminded of the first time I woke up in a similar room. I rub my wrists and shiver.