Running

Midoriya's POV

Before I knew it, all I could see were rooftops. I glance back at Todoroki's house and only see a tiny speck in the distance.

Endeavor finally got what was coming to him.

The tears I was holding back are starting to slip through. My relationship with my mother was beyond awful, but she didn't deserve to die for it. Even worse, it was my fault. If I just had a stupid quirk, everything would be so much easier.

I leap across rooftops for hours. I haven't really been keeping an eye out for crime like I'm supposed to. I am nearing the edge of the city. I hop down from the roof because the distance between the houses is starting to grow. I walk down the seemingly abandoned streets, not really paying attention to where I'm going.

I feel awful. I knew people didn't like me, but I didn't know that being quirkless would make them want to kill me. I am fully aware that I am a waste of space; they don't have to go rubbing it in.

I lose myself in my thoughts. Feelings of self-pity, self-hate, and utter loneliness are the most prominent. Would anyone care if I just disappeared off the face of the Earth? I have no family, I have no friends, I have no one. 

Heroes can do what I do. I'm useless. Aizawa only took me in because he felt bad for me. I'm a burden. My classmates are only interested in me because of my handicap. I'm a quirkless nothing.

It may seem like I have nothing to live for. But I do. I live out of spite. I live for the fact that Endeavor tried to kill me, that my mother and other villains tortured me until I wanted to die. I live so that I can prove society wrong about quirkless people. I live so that I can show everyone just how skewed their visions really are. This world threw everything it had at me yet I'm still standing. I think that counts for something.

I continue my journey away. I know that Aizawa will be worried when I don't show up to school tomorrow. It doesn't really matter; he'll forget about me in a few days anyway. I'm sure that he doesn't actually care that much. Everyone abandons me so why wouldn't he? 

I keep walking until I don't recognize where I am. In all my years alone, I never once ventured outside the city. I crossed a border somewhere and now I'm in a small, rural town. I wander the streets. I pull off my mask and the outer layers of my vigilante costume. I breathe in the cool night air. It's kind of nice to get away. I just need some time to think. When I was younger, my goals were so clear. So why now do all of them seem like distant dreams?

Aizawa's POV

The Todoroki house is finally clearing out now that those vultures (aka press) got all they needed.

With the place mostly empty, it's easier to spot my students. I gather all of them together, preparing to give them a stern lecture when I notice a particularly wild, green-haired boy is missing.

Damn, that problem child!

"Alright, I will save the lecture for now seeming as you all must be exhausted. Before you all go back to your dorms, can anyone tell me where Midoriya went?"

"Sir, he jumped out the window," Kirishima replied.

"Of course, he did," I mutter under my breath. "All of you go back to your dorms. And no more sneaking out!"

The kids shuffle out and I pinch the bridge of my nose. 

These kids will be the death of me!

I stick my head out the window to see if there are any signs of where Midoriya went. There aren't. I guess it's time to call up my bird-brained sidekick.