Chapter Four

Anna.

"I could stay, it is not such a bad idea, I do not mind."

Ainsley was saying, one look at my mother told him she was not okay, no matter how hard she convinced him she was. But even she knew she was not okay. It was dark outside, and the streetlights were on, the TV was playing in the living room but nothing interesting was showing. James sat by the steps, watching the three of us at the door, occasionally he would look up, towards the corridor that led to the bedrooms or to the door that led to the basement. After he had showed me the person that he kept on talking to, a worried expression crossed my features, not that I was scared or anything, as a matter of fact I did exactly the same thing when I was much younger. But I felt it was not healthy.

It had happened in the past so many years back, but for him to be seeing the two of them. Though I was more worried about my mother, at least James' health was not deteriorating as hers. "Ainsley, you need to go home, you need not worry yourself, Anna will return on Monday, and I am so sorry I asked her to come. I know how important this project is." He nodded and hugged her, she squeezed him back and some form of silent communication was held between them, he walked over to me and engulfed me in a warm hug. I could not help but take in his scent, he smelled so much like apples and cherries in a good way. I wrapped my hands around his body and buried my head in the crook of his neck, he kissed my forehead and smelled my hair.

My mother took James up to his bedroom, it was time for bed. Ainsley didn't let go of me but spoke next to my ear. "If you need anything Anna, I am just one call away, okay, promise me you will call." He looked me in my eyes, and I didn't want him to go, he saw my fear, he saw I was scared, I nodded.

"I promise, I will if anything happens." He kissed the top of my nose and let go of me. I was wearing his pink sweater and he had complimented me saying pink was meant for me. He steeped outside and I walked with him, we stood just next to his car and none of us said anything for a while. He looked at his phone and I caught sight of the time, it was just after eight, he cleared his throat and got into his car. He reversed out of the driveway and waved goodbye.

I stood there and watched the car drive off. I turned back to the door and looked up, by the window stood James, he was watching me. I closed the front door and locked it twice and even did the emergency locks. I cleared away the dishes and placed them in the sink, my mother walked down the stairs. She wore old pajamas the ones that she and dad used to wear when they had just newly married. She held an ice pack to her forehead and her eyes were red almost blood shot. I walked up to her with some aspirins and a glass of water, she took it wordlessly and I could see the light leaving her eyes, she was more than tired, she was exhausted.

I left her to her thoughts and washed up the dishes in the sink, the washing machine had long gotten spoilt, and dad had always promised to fix it and that was two years ago. I finished and dried the counter and sink clean with a cloth. I cleaned the stove and placed the yellow rug by the window to dry.

I heard the patter of feet outside and my first instinct was that I had imagined it, but then I heard it again, this time it sounded like it was coming towards me, but it stopped, abruptly. I walked over to the door and took a look at my mother who was seated in front of the tv, her mind in space far away from here. I opened the kitchen door and stepped out, the sensor lights came on, but I switched them on just in case. I walked the short distance and stood in front of the kitchen window my back to it.

I looked around and saw nothing. I heard the running of feet again and I turned, it ran towards the back of the house where the bulb didn't work. Should I go or not? I had an internal debate within me and when I motioned to go there, I heard the sound of a crying child. It came from the opposite direction, and when I turned, I saw him, there looking at me. I blinked once then twice and he was gone. I took a step back and tripped over a hose and fell to the ground. When I looked up again, he was there. I moved back till I hit my back against the fence. Frantically my eyes searched the space. It was empty, nothing but the dark clouds and cheeping of insects filled the air. I got to my feet even though I felt dizzy, my back scratched against the rough wall. I wanted to run back inside, but the distance seemed so far.

I heard it again, the footsteps they were two of them, and then laughter filled the air. My heart was beating rapidly, and my eyes searched from left to right, trying to find the source of the sound, but it felt like it was coming from everywhere, even in my head. I felt something creep on my shoulder, it was warm and soft but then it tightened, and I felt my neck being strangled. I struggled against it, till I fell face flat on the rough ground. I looked back and it were only a bunch of leaves. I got a grip of myself and ran towards the door, it was locked. I heard the crying again and moved to the side between the different trash cans and pulled on the black clothe but nothing was there, when I turned my back to it, a cold wet hand gripped mine and I screamed. I ran back to the door and started pounding but no one came to open it.

The light was slowly dimming, the once two feet turned to those of heavy men- to an army. I banged on calling my mother's name, but she didn't answer, would James? I shouted his name and turned back, the blackness was slowly moving towards me. Before it reached me the door swung open and I fell in, James stared outside and I closed the door. I stood up on shaking feet and peeked out the window, everything was normal, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. James stood looking at me, did he see what I saw? I got on my knees and hugged him, trying to comfort him or more of like trying to comfort myself, either way I got a bit better.

In his hands he held Mr. Ted, my older brother's favourite stuffed animal, I looked at the animal and I felt strange. I put off the light and helped my mother to her room, when I turned back and looked down the steps, there he sat, the crying child. He would have been thirty-one, just seven years older than me, but he was seven and forever would be seven, my older brother Owen and besides him my younger brother Eli.

 He would have been thirty-one, just seven years older than me, but he was seven and forever would be seven, my older brother Owen and besides him my younger brother Eli