Chapter Nineteen

Ainsley.

Ainsley gripped the wheel of his car; he had been driving endlessly for the past ten minutes and of all places he had stopped at the bottom of the lake. He parked his car and got out. He had become paranoid, checking his review and side mirrors constantly. The weather wasn't helping matters and neither was his injured foot.

He stumped down the shore and threw a stone in the water. He pulled out his phone and for the hundredth time searched up the name Hannah on Instagram and yet nothing, not even a resemblance of the deadly figure that had been tormenting him in the last twenty-four hours.

He needed to remain sober but again he needed a drink, one bottle wouldn't hurt, he walked back to his car and opened the boot. There was a crate of beer and an unopened bottle of vodka. He took the latter and broke off the seal, he held the bottle to his mouth but then a black clothe caught his attention. Where had it come from?

Making sure to keep most of his weight on his other foot he lifted off the crate of beer and placed it on the ground. He pulled off the black cloth and there was a mirror, not a standing mirror but one small enough to fit in his boot.

Frustrated he brought it out and placed it on the floor, it had his full name spelled all over it and to each name had a crossed line, some two others three but that was his name.

Mirrors be damned he picked up a stone and broke the mirror into pieces. The glasses shattered to the floor, he took his time breaking each large piece. He had gifted himself with small cuts and splinters, but he didn't care he wanted the whole thing gone. Satisfied with his work he got up and dusted his clothes. Superstitions of seven years of bad luck be damned. He would be a fool if he believed in such. He slammed his door shut and took one long last look at the mirror, he hit the gas and drove off.

Had he looked back, he would have seen the glasses melt into black and write his name in bold letters across the sand, a spark lighting against the A and his name going blaze.

Had he been more careful, he would have seen the time that was etched across the frame,

And time was of essence,

Which he didn't have.

Anna.

I got out of the car immediately I saw the Librarian open the front doors. It was 10:30am and usually the library stayed open for only three hours on Sundays. She eyed me from head to toe. I was still in my pajama pants and a plan black top. She pushed the bridge of her glasses higher on her nose and sipped from her hot cup of coffee.

"You only have three hours." Was all she said as she let me in the great hall of knowledge. I swallowed and walked around the enormous rows of books and shelves. Portraits and pictures lined the walls but none of them were what I was looking for. I rounded the corner and came to a stop, I had reached the last row and yet I found nothing, maybe I should go back and ask the lady, not that she would help but she could give me a clue as to whether or not the information I was looking for was here. If not, I could always drive to the next town, it was about thirty minutes away.

"May I help you?" I jumped hitting a table that had books on it, the librarian passed by and sent me a very disapproving look, we were the only ones in the building. I turned to the man that stood not far from me and nodded.

"I am looking for something, or better still someone." He nodded.

"And whom would that be?" The object was still trucked in my pajama pants. "One a McCurrie." I felt the ground shake as I said the name.

"And what would you be using such information for?"

"For a school project sir." He nodded again. "Are you related to someone from the family?" He watched me intently and in less than a heartbeat of a second, I answered. "No." He nodded.

" Very well follow me."

He turned around and we reached another corner that had a door, he pulled out a set of keys and inserted the right one in, he pushed the door open and gestured for me to go in. "Welcome to the library of the McCurries, I hope what you are looking for is here." I took in the large space that housed tons and tons of books. "But how am I to-" I turned around and the man was gone, though the door was left wide open.

I approached the first row and pulled out a dusty book, I opened the first page, and it was blank, I flipped through the reminder of the pages but yet nothing was there, not even a single word. I placed the book back and moved to another row. It was an accounting book, talking on all financial expenses the family had made. I dropped it back and pulled a book two levels above it, its words were written in Latin, and unfortunately for me that was one language I didn't bother to learn.

I bent down and looked at a book that was moth eaten; I was about to pull it. "I think these would be of better help in your search."

I jumped and this time I hit a vase, it fell to the floor and broke. I looked at the man with fear written all over my face. "I can pay for that." He placed the news papers on the side table and waved his hands. "No need, it was old anyway and in need of replacement." He gestured to the heap of papers.

"You should go through these, and miss?" I turned to look at him, looking at him for the first time, he was in a black suit, with a white undershirt.. He had sliver cufflinks on each arm and a well flooded handkerchief in his pocket.

"Are you sure you are not related to the McCurries?" I didn't answer immediately, and a small smile grazed his lips. "Very well, I will leave you to your business, if you need me, I will be at the back." I raised my eyebrows as I didn't see any side doors.

"Where sir?"

He pointed towards a door, and I nodded, he turned to leave. "Sir, I love your black suit, it fits your person very well." He stopped and nodded, then looked down at his clothing, a wide grin covered his face.

"My wife made it for me, it was always my favorite suit."