Chapter Thirty-Three

Anna.

Her blade pressed under my skin as I looked at the mirror, she held my head in place. How had she managed to tie my hands, that I would not be able to explain. Swallowing was hard, so I didn't bother.

The mirror showed my mother on the road motionless, bleeding to death and besides her a small burning body, undoubtedly that of James. Tears filled my eyes, the images then changed to Ainsley who was being hacked away by Hannah. She gripped his heart and pulled at it. It was still beating and pumping blood. Then her knife pulled jammed into his head, cutting his right eye in the process. She had more than enough blood on her dress than Ainsley had left.

I could feel the black substance crawl on me like termites. It gripped my legs and held them firmly. "Do you know, Anna begged me not to kill her, it was very dark, and barely any form of light came into the room. She begged me, pleaded, I can almost hear her."

please..I am...do not...please...I never meant for it to-

I could hear it to, the voice of a panicking child and then the silence, that showed she stopped pleading. "And now, I am going to kill you." I closed my eyes even though they were wet and filled with silent anger.

It was all in my imagination, all in my head, she was not real. I tried to move but found myself tightly bound. When I opened my eyes I was seated on the chair in a large room, there were mirrors everywhere and she walked around lighting up candles murmuring some words. There was a scream, it sounded like it came from the room and one of the mirrors cracked. I looked at it, it had a name, Sofie and the more I looked, the more it divided itself in two. As a matter of fact, all did, black water poured out of them.

"Go away McCurrie." I could not remember the rest of the words. This was it, this was the time for me to go. I never even got to tell Ainsley about the baby, about our baby.

She laughed and continued murmuring her sayings. She had drawn a large circle around my chair and water started filling up the room. The mirror, her mirror was placed right in front of me, and there by the end stood and open door.

Smoke filled the outside and the walls were starting to burn. I looked behind me, she was still walking while pouring some white powder on the floor. I stood up and took a step, with a jerk the rope was pulled but then I fell back to the chair. I felt its weight, it was like a large python twisting my hands. The water touched my feet and they were like tiny ants climbing up my legs. I looked back at her, she was on the other side of the room. I stood from my chair and ran but the rope was pulled back. I ended up landing face fast in the water.

She grabbed me by my hair and slapped me hard. I looked up at her dazed. She said something but I could not comprehend. My hands stung from being tired around my back. I felt its heavy metal around my neck.

"Chains, he used chains on you?" She blew the last particles of powder on my face and I coughed and sneezed. "He was a dangerous man, people never listened." She picked up a small ceramic bowl and raised the knife high up in the air, it came back down burying itself in her stomach. She watched as the blood spilled into the container.

Her eyes became hooded, and she looked destructed for a few minutes, looking out the window, the container of blood almost slipping from her hands.

This was my chance.

I stood up even though the weight of nothing in particular brought me down. I ran for the door, but I could feel the pull and tag at my hands. Nonetheless I ran for it. I reached the hallway before the rope was pulled again. I placed my hands above the fire but not next to it and watched as her footsteps came out the door. The chain dragged at my feet; it had not been tied to anything. "Come on come on."

I whisper shouted as the rope burned slowly. Parts of my arms were scalded by fire but I didn't care I wanted it off. I could feel the rope, it was being pulled. Then it stopped. I was dragged back but tried holding my stance, placing my hands almost in the fire I waited. The rope was pulled at but this time it went with a rip. Not looking back, I made my way towards the stairs, and she appeared before me in the mirror, walking towards me.

Confused, I could not remember seeing three staircases. I took the one nearest to me, by my right. I ran down the first two steps, and the mirrors along the wall splintered. A loud screeching sound filled the empty hallway. I looked down at my feet, I was bare foot and in white just as her. When I looked up she was there, standing at the bottom step.

I turned but she grabbed the chain and dragged me down the remaining steps. I could feel the cuts on my body and the falling pieces on my face, struggling I covered my features with one hand and tried supporting my neck with the other. I reached the last step and she walked away into the darkness. I looked around me, it was the same hall I had come in, the one with all the mirrors. I could see myself, standing there with blood ruining my bottom, then slowly the names etched across the mirrors became bold.

Then they were replaced by faces, girls I knew not of.

Then they were replaced by Calvert, killing each one of them before their mirror.

I looked into the darkness trying to see. A candle was lit, and it burned on a table, a few feet from where I was. The mirrors gave way and water dripped down the walls, the fire kept on burning to, but it burned from the upper rooms. I had to find a way out of this place. I picked up the candle and walked towards the darkened area. With my hand outstretched, I allowed the blackness to engulf me.

Bright blinding white light filled the room, and it took me a while to adjust to its sudden appearance and when I did, I took a step back.