Chapter Twenty-Five

James.

James fell on his bottom and screamed, well he tired to, the figure who now looked like a man with half his head and face off pulled his legs. James slid across the blood that spilled from the man's head. He screamed trying to grip anything as the man pulled him further and further into the darkened part of the hallway. Small folds of moon light slipped in through the patches of tape that covered the windows, and James could tell he was being dragged towards the section of the house his mother forbid him from going.

He screamed again and held onto a leg of a table; the table gave a groan as the man pulled harder. James held onto the table as his dear life deepened on it, it gave another groan and the objects that sat atop it fell of. He grabbed the nearest object even though he could not tell what it was.

"Mom!" He screamed again, he felt shivers ran up his body. The room that he was once in seemed so far away. "Mom!" He grit his teeth and twisted his body even though he was still being pulled. He wiggled his legs, kicking fiercely at the man, though his grip didn't weaver. The man gave a last pull and James' hand slipped from the table.

With one last twist, James turned his body and struck the man in the hand. The man dropped his legs and James looked around frantically, his clothes were smeared with blood, and it made his stomach turn, he was just a few feet from the rooms mother had warned about.

He pushed himself against the wall and looked around, not much of light could be seen, the man came back and gripped his neck. "Leave my son alone!"

A heavy chair smashed against the man's head and back. The man fell to the floor and slowly looked around; his gaze settled on mother. " I am not afraid of you." She held a candle holder in her hands, and moved her balance from one leg to another, the man stood up slowly but steadily. James' eyes went wide as he realised who was standing there. It was father although Owen had said father would never hit mother.

His gaze moved to the woman that had birthed him. She looked scared and tired, but she stood proud willing to defend her child. Without sparing him a glance, she said. "Go to the room and lock the door."

James didn't move. "James what did I say?" On shaky feet he raised himself up and walked away slowly and backwards, watching with absolute horror as his mom was being beaten, dragged and thrown. He turned his back, but the lights were out. Fear gripped him; he was in the middle of the hall with no where else to go.

He heard voices that came from the room that was directly opposite him, without a bit of hesitation, he pushed open the door. He walked in slowly and took a look around the place. It was dark inside and also stuffy. From the corner came the sound of a crying person, curious he moved in, pushing his blood stained glasses atop his nose.

He pushed aside a large box and took a peek at the corner -nothing was there except from the rat that was feasting on an old shoe. There was a lantern burning slow in the room, he pulled at the sting and its brightness increased. The person still cried, little sobs but one could tell the person had been crying for long.

The window that faced the backyard towards a large field of grass opened and footsteps landed on the floor. James moved back into a corner that was hidden by the bed and sofa, he looked around, the room was bright, yet he could not see anything. The footsteps moved towards the couch. He continued wondering who walked in the room: A mirror sat atop a vanity table and at once he realised, he was in a person's room, a girl's room.

From the mirror he could make out a blurry figure of a man in a suit, he walked towards the sofa and in it sat a girl, sobbing in her hands. The man dragged her hair and she fell to the floor, begging. "Please, please."

He had his back to James and the woman's face was not clear. The man picked up the woman and threw her towards the direction of the vanity table, a ceramic bowl of water fell to the floor with a loud crush and hit her leg. The pink of her foot swelled up with a bruise and a bit of blood. He walked to her even though she was still on the floor, holding to her arm, he lifted her face up and whispered.

"Do not ever make such mistake, ever again." His large palm left a mark on her cheek and she sobbed even louder.

James felt termites climb up his body, and a person's breathing in his ear. The tip of his nose got wet, and he knew it was with blood, cold hands gripped his shoulder and carried him up from the floor, he was thrown across the room and his glasses gave way. The man stalked towards James and he crawled back on his hands and feet backing up against the wall. A smile played along his bloodied lips. The glint of a knife shone under the not so bright light. He felt his back pressed against the wall, and the man raised his hand up high in the air. Afraid James closed his eyes and looked at his left, under his breath he whispered.

"If I can not see you, if I can not hear you, then you can not hurt me, go away, go back to where you belong-" The door swung open and a man stalked in, the same man, only that this time the man that entered was him, father. He sent a glance towards James' direction and ran for the half dead man that looked exactly like him, they fought and battled to the floor. That was when Owen stood by the door and called him.

"Come James there is something you need to see." Without thinking he ran out the room and looked at his mother that laid on the floor, she was coughing blood and a pool of the red sat beneath and around her. She smiled a weak smile as more blood poured out her mouth.

She raised her fingers and pointed "Behind you."

When he turned, the once Owen he had thought had called him was turned into the woman, the same woman in white that had black substances to her dress, the same that had a knife in her hand. The door to the room he had been in opened, and out stalked both men, look alike in all aspects. The woman turned to Owen who still stood behind him and with a wide smile, he pushed James down the cold, long, hard steps.

James landed at the bottom, but he didn't stir.