Chapter Seven

Anna.

The clock by the wall read 11:55 pm, we sat in the living room in silence. I still held James in my arms, he was fast asleep. Mother was still in a bit of shock, when she had said she could feel their presence, she meant it in an imaginative manner and took James' saying as his imagination, but never did she believe she would meet them. The both of them standing together wearing the same clothes they died in. She looked around the room, curious would they still be here? But they were not, I could not feel them, it was like they came and went as they pleased.

I placed James on the brown sofa, I needed some aspirins, my mind was spinning, and my head was a bit foggy, I still could not understand why I was attacked by the strange woman, all I knew was that had all started after I walked into the office, after holding the mirror, and he knew, Mr. Calvert knew someone was amiss. I saw the way he looked at the mirror as I walked out, I did not miss the way he watched me carefully, or how I would turn whenever I would hear the slightest noise.

My phone started ringing and I looked up towards the direction of the steps. My mother seemed so lost in thought. I touched her shoulder and kissed her forehead. "I have to get that mother." She nodded and moved to where James laid. I gave her one last look before walking up the stairs, maybe it was Ainsley calling.

Clara.

Clara sat rigid next to her son. Was this karma coming after her? What had she done for all these to be happening? Her day was getting worse by the minute. First the moving picture, then James by the roof, and now this, seeing Owen and Eli together looking back at her, who was she to see next, grandpa and his dead cousins? She ran her hand through his hair, he was pale, and his cheeks showed that he had lost some bit of weight. The blanket covered him up to his chin, he laid there not moving.

A scented candle sat on the round table infront of the sofa and the other was burning by the kitchen table, a few feet from her sitting position. She loved scented candles, as they helped her calm down. She closed her eyes and rested her head against the sofa, maybe she could get some sleep, maybe when she woke up it would all be a bad dream. The room's eerily silence irked her; she became uncomfortable although she still kept her eyes closed.

Cold wet fingers gripped her left hand, and she felt herself shake with fear, afraid to see whom they belonged to. The fingers held hers, in a soft embrace and when she opened her eyes there was no one there. Was she imaging it?

But when she looked down the floor was wet with water, she turned towards James and his blanket around his feet was wet. She pulled of his blanket and hit the table causing the candle to tip over and go off. Her heart was rapidly beating in her chest, she must be imagining things, she needed something to drink she was paranoid. The candle on the table went of suddenly and she was forced to look there, the lights in the living room were on, giving the place some light, to her left she heard the sound of running feet and laughter.

She moved to the wall, this was becoming to much, she searched from left to right looking for anything, anyone but saw nothing. A chair was dragged across the floor then stopped, the click clack of a spoon hitting a cup came from the kitchen, then there was a crash of broken plates and glasses. She still stood in her position, fear gripped her hard and it was not letting go soon. The door to the basement opened slowly and footsteps were heard coming up. She ran to James and picked him up from the sofa, half of his clothes were wet, she could call Anna, she was scared, she wanted everything to end, but would Anna hear it? Could she even open her mouth to speak?

A pillow hit her leg and she looked at the smallest sofa in the room. There in it sat Eli, he held his favourite book in his hands. The one he used to look at times without number. It was an animal book that made sounds according to what you pressed. The batteries had long died, and the book was long forgotten, after their death she had stacked the toys away. They had been too painful to look at. It made her feel like she had failed at motherhood. He sat there staring at the pictures and when he reached the horse, his favourite animal and pressed the button. Nothing came. He pressed again, but no sound was heard, slowly he looked up at her, a small smile craved his lips.

"What mother?" He asked. "You could not even get my toys ready; you knew I was coming home, didn't you?"

She didn't answer. She could feel the cold wet body that pressed itself to her legs hugging her. She looked down at James who was wide awake- a smile on his face.

"Oh mother, how we will miss you, but again, you could come with us." She dropped him and stepped away from the three of them, no wait they were four. The James on the floor had a knife sticking out of his head, then the other James still lay on the sofa. Her back hit against the cold wall and the three of them approached her slowly, water was everywhere, and it was coming from Owen.

The door to the basement opened fully and hit the wall with a thud. She looked back at the boys, but they were gone. However, when she looked at the door she screamed and ran towards the side of the dinning room. She grasped the only thing she could find. "Clara I am home."

He said and walked towards her. "Clara, don't you miss me?" His face was darkened, and she could not see him clearly. "Come on dear I have missed you. I think about you all the time."

She was breathing hard, this couldn't be. "Go away from me you are dead!" She said, trying to sound brave, but he chuckled.

"Do you still cook me my favourite meal or have you not been doing so?" She didn't say anything, her eyes were on James and the small hands that were pulling him towards the darkened basement.

"Answer me wife of mine! Do you miss me?" His deceased hands gripped her throat and tried strangling her. She chocked and coughed and struggled against his hold, his face was disheartening to look at, he smiled an evil smile. " You did this to me, you caused me so much pain, yet I loved you." Tears welled up in her eyes.

"I am sorry."

His cold hand left a heated slapped against her cheek. He opened his mouth to speak again, and blood poured out. "I am going to make you pay. You are going to pay for that day." In a tight grip he held her hair and brought her face crushing against the wall. There was a crack of some sort. She dropped to her knees and held her left eye, he managed to hit it and now it was swelling up.

It could barely open, she looked down at the lowest section of the shelf beside her, her husband's favourite collection were vintage Indian knives.

A smile spread across his face.