Chapter Twenty-Eight

James.

James felt noting in his body, not even pain, or a single drop of ache, his body felt numb. He thought he was going to die, yes that thought freaked him out. Slowly he lifted himself up and to his astonishment he had landed on the bags of clothes, they broke his fall but how? He could remember clearly that they had been up in the room he had been in.

He stood up and looked around him, Eli stood just at the corner hidden from view, then he remembered Owen pushed him down. Eli approached him and helped him stand. James did not know whom to trust, his father had walked in but then came out of the room like the same man that tried to kill him, Owen had called him, but he pushed him down the stairs, but then Eli, he was sure he had put the bags down there so he would land safely.

"Come." Eli tugged at his hand and he hesitantly followed the four year old towards some rooms at the back.

The sound of glass crushing could still be heard from the floor right above them. Eli pushed open a door, it was underneath the staircase and a small blub shone in the room. The room was very small. Eli looked back out and then looked at his brother.

"The mirror," He pointed towards it. James walked in and looked at it, it was big- a large mirror and there were also scratches that were at the bottom. Eli looked at him again. "Break it, you must face it in the opposite direction and turn it upside down then break it." Eli looked back outside, from up they could hear the footsteps come down the stairs. He looked back at James.

"Hurry before he finds you." With that he walked out and closed the door.

James looked at the large mirror that stood before him, he could see himself- when he moved closer, he saw the man in it, the man looked up but it seemed he could not see James. There came another crush of glass and a scream. James got his brain thinking. He needed to turn it upside down and face it in the other direction but how? It was large and he could barely lift it up. The footsteps hurried down the stirs and the click clack of shoes sounded on the cold floor. He watched the door, then brought his gaze back to the mirror. The man was looking at him and smiling. Fear gripped his small body, but he had to do what was asked.

He gripped the mirror and placed it gently on the floor, then despite the small space he tried turning it upside down. The footsteps hurried, running towards the door to the room he was in. James looked at the mirror the man still stood there smiling at him even though he was upside down. He lifted the heavy reflector and made it face the ground, he slipped on water and the mirror almost fell back facing up. He gripped it with strong hands and pushed it gently so that the reflector could face the floor. The handle of the door twisted, it was locked. Pounding came from the other end of it and the wall besides the door shook, with dust falling everywhere.

James looked around the room for something he could use to break the mirror, but unfortunately there was nothing, well there were things, but they were all to heavy to lift up. He looked at the door again, it was shaking on its hinges. He was not going to get scared, he was not, he told himself, and braced his body. He moved to the end of the small room and ran, he leaped off the ground and his feet landed on the mirror, at once its pieces shattered and the banging stopped. But that didn't stop James, he jumped on the mirror breaking every single breakable piece squeezing his eyes shut and covering his nose, he jumped till there was nothing left but broken glass.

Clara.

Clara could feel the burning sensation that pulled at her fingers, her hand was bloody, and the knife still lay buried deep in her arm, she had managed, thank the stars, to doge away as the knife came aiming for her eye. She had more bruises than she could count. And blood was draining from her straining arm. Still, she a held broken leg of the antique chair in her good arm. She swung at him, but she missed, tripping over her foot and falling down a chair.

He approached her, he looked even more despicable, but she told herself, this was not him, it could not be him. It was her, who ever she was, she came in form of him, well that was what Anna had told her.

He climbed on top of her and tried strangling her throat. She was starting to see stars and the pounding headache at the back of her head made it even hard to concentrate. He dug his nails into her skin and tears started flowing out of her eyes.

Her hands moved around the scattered space and she felt the broken vase, she gripped one of its pieces in her bloodied arm and stabbed it in his good eye. He smiled as blood dripped down on her, covering her eyes and her face, a drop of it even entered her mouth. His grip tightened even more, and she could feel herself falling, and the last breaths of air leaving her body.

Just when she thought she couldn't take it, his grip loosened, and he fell back holding his neck or well what remained of it. He gave a coughing fit and struggled as his body starting falling off in pieces, it was a messy sight to see. Dark pools of blood poured at his feet and the knife that she had buried in his stomach came flowing out of his mouth with black substances following it. He got to his hands and knees breathing in and out even though he was falling apart, she could hardly take it. She closed her eyes; she didn't want to see what he was going through.

Once the room fell silent, she opened her eyes, he was lying face flat on the ground and in the pool of dead blood soaking up his black suit. A door opened slowly, and she held her breath afraid that another he would come out. "Mom?" James' voice echoed in the whole house. She got to her feet and ran out the room, then stopped as she found two more of the men lying down in the same position as the other did.

She side stepped them and ran down the stairs, the lights were back on, like they had never been cut before. She took in the illuminated hallway and the face of a scared boy looking at a dead man, well he was already dead anyway. She ran to him and hugged him shielding him from the view.

"Are you okay?" She kissed his bruised nose and hugged him even tighter even though he was covered in blood, he nodded.

She gripped him and lifted him up from the floor, pointing towards the man that stood on the other side, she said.

"You stay away from my child." James held her hand in his and whispered. "It's okay mom, that is dad, he came to tell us Anna needs our help."

She dropped her hands slowly to her side then nodded.