Chapter Twenty

Anna.

The headline of the first paper caught my attention,

RAN AWAY BRIDE.

Bride rans away a day before her wedding, article 69, page 12. The Good Old Times News.

I opened the page and read the detailed paragraph.

Tragedy hits as bride rans away a day before her wedding family deep in sorrow.

"A wedding is meant to be a day of celebration, a union between two families, a joining of man and woman, but how can it bring such desired effect if the bride decides to run away just a day before her wedding? Leaving without a trace, or any form of warning. Well folks, that is what this sad article is all about, The Ran Away bride, (Whom will not be mentioned due to family's special requests.) was last seen at a family lunch, relatives claim she was happy and "in the mood to get married." According to her father, "a young sweetheart on the edge of excitement as her big day was in less than eighteen hours." --

The rest of the words were unreadable as the paper was yellowed to the point of brownness. I pulled out the second paper.

What to do? As family is at a loss of words.

Page 19.

"Ever heard of the term ran away bride? Well, that is the unfortunate talk of the town. The bride, (Family restricts that her name be mentioned) was claimed to have ran away at the dead of the night, just hours to her wedding, according to fiancé. "We had just had a well-deserved last minute get together party involving family only, when she asked to be excused. I followed her out to the open terrace as she didn't look too well, and thought, maybe it was all the wine she took, but then she looked at me and ran into the night. I chased after her, but she got away, I could barely find my way back as I was lost in the thickets of greenery for more than three hours."

The rest of the paragraphs talked about how family missed her and well rehearsed prayers for her safe return.

"Please, if anyone sees my daughter please report to us immediately, a large reward would be given to anyone who has any information on her ware abouts."

I dropped the paper and pulled out the seventh paper among the bundle, not that they were a lot of them anyway.

Court takes to ruling as fiancé seeks justice for his fiancée, as he claims she was kidnapped.

"As of today, Thursday, 13th February 1739, the high court has ruled that the ran away bride, (her name won't be mentioned) has been kidnapped, family strongly believes that she is alive and well as they still feel her presence, (with the help of a sorcerer they were able to find her soul still living.) The Honorable Mr. Justice Bugginwallop has declared a large fine or an immediate death penalty for the kidnapper when found. But the family pleads with him and the kidnapper who ever he might be, that the sentence be reduced, and her daughter brought back, mother claims, "all will be forgiven, just bring our daughter back."

In other news how did the mysterious disappearance of the ran away bride affect fiancés career?

"It is said that the loss of a loved one affects the living, but is that saying true? Just a few weeks back, the bride to be of one a Mr. Calvert Ghislain-"

I looked at that paper in my hands, dumbfounded,

"International billionaire and mighty entrepreneur of various companies and organisations."

This was a lie, it could not be true,

"Picture left side, full picture next page."

I turned to the next page and there was a large whole, the picture had been ripped. I looked through the rest of the papers, but the remaining articles that talked about him or the ran away bride had been ripped. This didnt make sense, none of it did, the date 1739 and we were in the twenty first century that would make it two hundred eighty-two years back, but the picture- his and the man we saw on Friday were the same, could a man live about two hundred eighty-two years? No that would not be possible and what about his date of birth?

Calvert Ghislain (right) ran away bride (middle) family of ran away bride (left).

That was all it said but the picture, it had been intentionally ripped out, but why? And by whom? I walked in the inner room, and it was quiet. It was smaller than the one I had been in. Old, outdated sofas filled most of its space and a grand oak desk sat at a far corner, a chair behind it. By its left there was some object that was covered by a white cloth, and it faced the table. The lamp light blinked on and off and a paper lay open on the desk. Probably it was the man's maybe he had been reading. By my right was a small side table, it was low and had a big book on it, there was a string that rested on a page.

"Hello, sir?" The room was empty and barely had good light in. I walked over to the book and opened it, I felt like I was not alone like as if someone was looking at me. I turned around and there was no one. The space was barely big enough to fit two people without them knocking their feet on the scattered pieces of furniture.

A large portrait that sat above the table caught my attention and I put on the torch of my phone. Its picture was not all to clear, so I stepped on the sofa and cleaned the dust off with my bear hand, dust particles caught on my nose, and I sneezed. Once the dust settled, I pointed my phone towards it.

It was a portrait of a man and woman, they were smiling. I made my way towards the desk and read the headline of the open paper.

Tragedy hits Stones folk as The McCurries are found dead and teenage boy Calvert McCurrie Ghislain left orphaned.

I heard the scuffling of feet behind me and looked up at the large portrait, that sat above the desk on the wall. The same woman and man stood there with a young teenage child at the centre, an unknown woman by their right and I swallowed, suddenly very aware of my surroundings, the same man, in the same clothe and the same smile.

Mr. and Mrs. Ghislain McCurrie: 1639, 1664 -1689

Calvert McCurrie Ghislain: 1675-

I pulled at the clothe that covered the large standing mirror and took a step back. The mirror was the biggest I had ever seen, it was oval and had sliver and golden flowery and spiral designs on its body, it was free of dust, cleaned to perfection. There stood a woman in it, in white, she looked down at the floor, her eyes were black and so were her lips. The woman was not very clear as the inside of the mirror was dirtied, grey and mostly black. I got to my knees while watching her, would she move? She looked like she was crying, hurt and hungry.

I touched the bottom that read the words,

"As long as I do not see you, as long as I do not hear you, you can not hurt me, go away, go back to where you came from, McCurrie."