Chapter Thirty-One

Anna.

The knife missed my cheek by a few inches. It dropped to the floor, and she held me against the wall, her long nails around my neck. She was powerful for someone that was dead. She hit my head against the door frame, and I dropped to the floor with my centre of thoughts spinning. She stepped aside from me and picked up the fallen knife.

"He never loved me and yet I wanted him. I was willing to sell my soul to have him but then you came along and ruined everything, and they had to name you after her. And i am going to kill you, just the way I killed her."

She grabbed my legs and pulled me to the foot of the bed, where I saw the large mirror that had our names on. Kneeling on her knees she held my head up with the rusted knife under. "Tell me, what did you see in the mirror that gave you so much fright. Can you remember?" I looked at her image, her eyes were dark, so was her mouth. The once blond hair was messed up with black. Black liquid dropped from her mouth whenever she opened it.

I sniffed the air, the room was still burning and, in any moment, now, it would reach the part we were in. She whispered in my ear.

"Oh Anna, sweet Anna, it could have been you, but you run, why did you run away?" She placed the rusted knife at the base of my throat.

"You still have not answered my question. What did you see?"

I swallowed.

Clara.

Clara gripped the steering wheel as tightly as her injured arm could, she had to reach Anna, and she had to do it fast. Of course, it had been very strange when a woman in rugs rang her bell just a day after Anna was born, calming that the child be given some specific name. It had been the strangest day in her life, but had she known, had she known that the woman was part of them, she would never have agreed. It would have been better that she lost her life than letting Anna or James answer to the name McCurrie. It was a generational curse, and the woman she had heard of so many times as the ran away bride was back and after Anna.

At first it did not make sense, the woman (whom her name was never mentioned) was an innocent sixteen-year-old that had gladly accepted a marriage to Calvert, so what they were cousins, and not direct family, it seemed okay. Although the ton didn't agree with them. But suddenly, she disappeared, and Calvert went back to America for forty years never going back to Europe, leaving his family home abandoned and lacking in staff. His death was never recorded but his wealth grew. The story Ainsley had told her had not made sense. Calvert was a man born more than twelve generations before her, but then she could remember reading the article once.

Man never ages, but wealth grows, now named peter pan for he is never old.

It all made sense, he had found a way to keep himself alive for so long a time, through that mirror, but after that fateful day, after Anna had touched it. He suddenly disappeared, like he was never there. She pressed on the gas and looked back at James who was keeping an eye out the window, it was past 12:00 am.

She felt a sharp pain ran through her hand and she cursed aloud. Not meaning to she hit on the brakes and the car span before it came to a stop. She couldn't drive, this had been the second time she had gotten such pain. It could cause an accident and she was not willing to put her son's health at risk. She dialled both Anna's and Ainsley's numbers but none of them went through. She called 911. She hoped and prayed to God that both were still alive.

Her mind went back to her earlier thoughts, Anna Sylvia McCurrie was the woman, and her Anna was given the same name. Calvert was a rich man with mysterious dealing and Anna had met him. So, he knew who she was. But why didn't he give her some form of protection? No something was not right. How could have Anna brought back the woman yet she had only touched the mirror? Her head was hot and a bit fuzzy. She opened her door and stepped out. James followed her to, looking here and there. Old pictures lay in a file, and she brought them out. One by one she looked at the pictures, she could see Calvert, the young girl and Anna. The young girl looked exactly like her Anna.

And there was a picture one of a mirror, it was blurry and oval, the inside was grey and dirty. It looked normal, probably it was upside down. She turned the picture in the right way and there was something there, but it was not to clear. Bringing the picture under the phone's light- a shocked sound came out of her mouth.

It took a longer than a minute to realise bright lights were headed towards them and the horning sound of a resistant driver kept ringing. Panicking she grabbed James and threw him to the side, not knowing where he would land. She tried to move but a hand held her in place, one that was blackened. She looked up again at James who was watching her curiously, with shaky hands she placed the pictures back in the file and threw them at him, just in time before the track hit her.

All she could remember was seeing Richard, lying down right under the car his hand still holding her foot, his face darkened but a smile about his lips and his once warm eyes shiny with new light. She smiled back, a small smile that came with blood pouring out of her mouth and nose. She could not feel, neither could she hear and slowly her breathing stopped and her eyes remained fixed on the nothingness that she saw.

She was cold.