Chapter Six

Anna.

By the time I stepped into the bathroom, the little room was covered in steam, James was safely tucked in bed and mother was about her business either sleeping or still looking at the pictures. I stripped out of my clothes and let the water ran filling the tub, it was scalding hot, just the way I liked it. I had been putting off looking into a mirror afraid that I would not see my reflection, or worse, see what I saw.

Ever so slowly I turned to the mirror, though its glass was covered in steam, I did see my pale reflection, but if I could see myself now, then what did I see at the office today? And why was it then when I walked out of his office and looked back, I could not see myself in any of the mirrors? I had become so afraid that someone would point this out, that I was a vampire or something, but no one said a word, no one paid attention to me not even Ainsley.

I grabbed my toothbrush from the near cupboard and turned of the water. Logging into Spotify I tapped on some soothing music as I faced the mirror. I closed my eyes and hummed along to the song, the foam of the toothpaste filled my mouth and I spat it out, then rinsed it off. After dropping the brush where I had picked it up from, I stood for a few minutes. Probably I was just stressed out and my imagination was getting to the better side of me, to the side that functioned more maturely, probably it was the stress of all the projects and assignments I had been given.

I turned to the tub while pulling down my undergarments, dipping my left foot in I almost shouted. I had to hold my mouth to keep myself from screaming. I looked at the door and was quiet for a few minutes, did anyone hear me? I heard no sound coming from the other end of the door. I dipped my hand in the water and it was like a bucket of ice was poured in. I felt a tiny army of ants crawl up my back and I turned to face the mirror. There was just me looking back at my self.

I grabbed my robe and covered my body. The light in the bathroom blinked off and on and the song stopped abruptly. I got hold of my phone and turned on the torch. When I looked at the mirror, I saw nothing, not even me, I moved close to it, there was some crack at the edge, and black paint was running down. It was run down the walls and pulled at my feet, my pink fluffy slippers were going to get stained with the slimy substance, the same substance that I found under my closet. The light blinked again and there was a bolt of lightening outside.

I took curious steps towards the curtains and pushed them open, there was nothing but blackness and not even the streetlights were on. I strained my eyes against the glass trying to find out what was amiss. The lights blacked out and I saw her. She sat on a chair in the middle of the lawn, her long hair was down, and she looked like she was crying, she wore a white dress that was stained with black at the bottom. She looked up at me and I felt myself fall and land on the floor. The window bust open, and a cold ghost of wind blew in. My head was spinning.

The bottom of my pink robe was sticky and wet, the light kept on blinking on and off and I struggled with the wind, my hair and my rob, frantically I searched for my phone which I found at the base of the tub. I stood up and ran my hands along my back, nothing seemed broken, tentatively, I turned around and there she was in the tub looking at me. Then she was gone.

I tired to scream but something held my throat and threw me to the ground. I felt weak, I felt pressed down, no sound was forthcoming, and breathing seemed like a tremendous activity. The room was dark now, my phone was off from the great impact of the floor. I crawled to the corner of the tiled room and watched the door. Its handle slowly turned then stopped, all was silent. Then a scream broke out.

"Mother?" I cried frantically as I ran to the door, a pair of hands grabbed me from the black substance that filled the floor and tried pulling me down. I struggled against its hold, and fought for balance, but I slipped against my own robe and fell. The water from the taps started spilling and the drains were clogged, as much as is struggled I still felt myself being pulled towards a drain. I grabbed a pair of scissors by the bottom shelf and hit the hand that gripped my leg, it pulled back but that did not mean that it stopped.

She stood behind me and pushed my head in the water trying to drown me. I searched around for anything to use, but I felt nothing, nothing that could help. The cold cord was tangled against my neck and my knees hit the ground, I was choking, struggling, looking for air, for help, and in the distance, I could still hear it, the noise, the scream, it was mother, she needed help.

My head came out from under the water. Had I fallen asleep? Was it real? It felt real. I looked around the room, everything seemed normal, the lights were on, there wasn't any substance on the floor. What could have happened? The scream rang out again and I grabbed my robe, swinging the door open irrespective of the fact that I was still nude. I made my way towards the front door that was open. I ran out, why was my mother screaming at the top of her lungs, what was wrong? I saw her jumping around and looking up, she was crying and throwing her arms up in the air.

When I looked up, I saw James, in the exact same position Eli was, he was going to jump. He had his eyes closed and I could see him muttering to someone, his leg slipped but he regained his balance, still his eyes were closed. My mother shouted and this awoke the rest of the people. There was no doubt he was talking to Owen, but why would he? My mind clicked, Owen asked him to come, to come with him and Eli. My mind started racing.

His leg slipped again but this time, he didn't fall he was pushed. I do not remember how I did it, but I broke his fall, grazing my back against the hard pavement and getting a bruise. I looked down at him and he was fast asleep, still murmuring somethings in an unintelligible manner. My gaze tilted to my foot, it was not a dream, I had been attacked by the woman, the woman in white who ever she was, and my robe the ropes were stained with some black slimy substance.

I looked at my mother's wide eyes, but she was not looking at me, she was looking at her two dead sons, they stood there staring at each other.