VII. The Reunion

I walk inside and music fills my ears, as well as tons of different customers' voices, speaking in different languages. I concentrate and clear my mind, trying to find the Mandalorian.

Inside my head now everything is quiet as I try to feel his presence. I hear a voice of someone inside the bar.
"I thought Mandalorian didn't exist anymore"
"Yeah, well that one sure does" answered his companion.
I follow the voices, certain that they are sitting close to the man I'm looking for.

I pass a few people to see the familiar armor I had seen so many times in Grogu's memories.
I let out a small smile and pick the Child up like Luke did the first time, making him facing what's behind me. I wanted to surprise him.

"Hey, you" I call him
"Are you the one that found a Mandalorian armor? If not I advise you to leave me alone" he asks without turning to look at me

What a sweet person.

"I actually lied about the armor, but I do have something that's yours"
He turns towards me to see what I held.
Now I can't see his face, but I know exactly what his expression could be.
"Kid?!"
The kid turns fast, hearing that voice he had waited long to hear again
"Dank farrik! Is that really you?" the Mandalorian immediately stands up and gets to the Child.

I let him get him in his arms and take one step back to let them have their moment.

The man holds him close, with his arms wrapped around him, and Grogu has his eyes closed, smiling.
The Mandalorian laughs pulling back a bit from the hug to see his face.
"What are you doing here? I missed you, you know?"
That's when Grogu makes him know he has missed him too in the best way possible: he makes him hear his voice for the first time
"Dad"

The Mandalorian paralyzes, then sits back, probably because of the surprise and temporary loss of his capabilities to speak.

"Oh yeah, he talks now. Big time" I intervene
He keeps staring at the kid as I continue
"That was actually his first word, obviously followed by 'soup'. He really does love food"
"But he... I..."
"Yeah, I know you're not really his father, but in fact you are. You know that family bond is not only having the same blood right?"
He turns back to Grogu
"You talk! You are so good, so so good"
The kid giggles
"So now I can communicate with him"
"Actually no. He knows like five words in total, so..."

"Hug" the kid says looking at me
"Oh yeah I see. You finally hugged him, huh?" then I turn to the man "You'll eventually understand him despite his limited vocabulary"
The Mandalorian is still puzzled, and Grogu is still looking at me, now pointing one finger.
"Buddy, I can't hug him too. It's awkward, I don't know him"
He frowns for a second, then looks at the man again.

"Do you really think of me as your dad?" Mando asks the little one. He nods.
Now, again, I can't see his face, but I can bet you anything that he's practically crying.
"After all we're clan, huh?"
The kid touches the signet on the Mandalorian's armor, as I remember about the history behind that Mudhorn image.

"This is the one that you hunted, than saved?" the armorer Mandalorian asked
"Yes" Mando replied "The one that saved me as well"
"From the Mudhorn?"
"Yes"
"It looks helpless"
"He's injured, but not helpless. His species can move object with its mind"
"I know of such things"
The armorer began telling the story of the rivalry between Mandalorian and Jedis while continuing to work with Beskar and flames.
"He is a founding" she referred to Grogu "By Creed, it is in your care. You must reunite it with its own kind. This is the Way" she said hammering Beskar.
"Until you accomplish this, you are it's father"
She cools the steel into the water
"You have earned your Signet" she steps close to him to put the mark on his armor. The Mandalorian stood still, proud. On the shoulder pad there was now the image of an animal, the Mudhorn. With this, the two of them became family.
"You are a clan of two"

"Why are you two here? Is he all right?"
"He is, don't worry. I could see he missed you, so here we are. I tracked you, convinced you to meet, and came here"
"Thank you"
I nodded
"You are one of the Jedi that took him"
"Yes, you remember good. The other one isn't here"
"Is Grogu a Jedi?"
"Not yet. He's a youngling, my Padawan, apprentice. But you can clearly see he's going to be a strong one. He's behaving good, he listens"
The Mandalorian tilted his head "What? No way"
"Im telling you, he does"
"Traitor, he never did with me"
"Maybe the problem needed a woman's touch" I smirked

The Kid captures the man's attention back as he shows him something that's in his pocket: the necklace that used to belong to the Mandalorian.
"You still have it?! I thought it was lost when the Razor Crest exploded"

Razor Crest, must be his old ship

The kid stood there with the Mandalorian for a long time, catching up. I had stepped away for a bit to leave them be. I was now eating some soup watching them from a distance.
I see beings coming and go as time passes, until as the door opens to let in someone I notice that it's already dark outside.
I turn to Grogu to see the Mandalorian with his head close to the kid to whisper something.
He points at me for a second, the kid babbles something back. The man raises his head again towards me.
"Kai!" he calls me, gesturing me to get there.

"Kai, huh?" I say sitting next to the kid "I didn't even tell you my name"
"His fault. He told me"
I smiled at the kid, putting my hand on his shoulder for a second.
"It's Kaira actually, Kaira Satri, he can't say it all" I then look at the man "I won't ask you your name. I know how you Mandalorians are"
He nods in a silent thank you

"I noticed it's dark already" Mando says "Do you have to go back?"
"Actually no, I thought about spending the night and leave whenever Grogu is ready"
"Where are you sleeping?"
"I have my ship in the hangar"
"Wait, no. My kid deserves to sleep well, and so do you. Let me offer you some place better, as a thank you"

I guess it wouldn't hurt to sleep somewhere more comfortable than my ship's seats.
I send a Communication to BB-4, we will reach him tomorrow.

"Okay, Mandalorian. Show me the way"

A/N
Finally reunited! Father and son.
Now there is one thing to figure out. Are Kaira and the Mandalorian going to be friends? Or enemies?
See you next chapter,

-Haar'chak_Kaira