XX. The Hospital

"Piccolo? BB?" I call from outside the ship
I hear the faint beeps of the Droid becoming louder, and soon it comes out with Grogu behind
"Dad?"
"He's all right, he will wake up soon" I smile to him and he raises his ears swaying in happiness
"Do you wanna go to see dad?"
He reached towards me so that I could pick him up.

In that moment I hear someone behind me
I put my free hand on the hilt of my lightsaber and turn.
"Woah, easy! I'm not here to do harm. Miss Dune sent me to check out the ship" a blue being speaks
"I don't need any service"
"Oh it's just a free precaution measure as a homage for you for saving the Mandalorian. He's one of the good ones"
"Yeah, he is. I'll leave you and your mechanic droids then"
"Splendid. I'm Mythrol by the way"
"Kaira, nice to meet you"
"Wait, are you a Jedi?"
"Yes. Listen dude, I'd love to chat, but I have a kid who wants to see his father so..."
"Yes! Absolutely, my bad! Hi little one"
I turn away from him and towards my droid.
"BB will you guard the ship for me? I don't want it to get even a scratch, it's not ours"

After its beeping response I proceed back towards the hospital.
"Here we go Grogu, this is your father's room, are you ready?"
He nodded in pure excitement.

*Din's point of view*

After I was brought outside of the ship I closed my eyes and all I remember is blank. And of course, pain.
As I wake up I instinctively bring a hand to my head and luckily feel that my helmet is still on.
I feel like I'm floating, I don't want to know how many painkillers they gave me to make me feel like this.
I feel something around my torso and my leg, and I open my eyes.
My chest is covered in bandages, no armor. I look around for it and I find it in a corner. It doesn't even look like an armor anymore, the explosion must have been big.
Near it I see a boot, and I rapidly look up to the face of the person thinking it's Kai. But it's Cara, who's smirking.

"Well look who's here all fixed up"
"Cara" I smile at my friend, even though she can't see me.
"Thought you were living a quiet life, yet here you are in the middle of another fight"
"The kid is not safe"
"Yeah, your Jedi friend told me everything"
"Kai! Is she here? She left me here I know it"
"Slow down, she went to get your kid. The kid who should be your first priority"
"Grogu! Is he okay?"
"Yes he's fine, but don't change the subject, why are you so concerned about this Kai"

As she pronouces her name I look around to look for here.
No, wait, remember: she's not here yet. These painkillers are really the worse
Wait, did I say this out loud? No, it's my inside voice.

"Mando, hey, you there?"
Cara waves her hand in front of the slit of the helmet. I didn't even noticed she sat on my gurney next to me.
"Yes"
"Doesn't seem like it. Come on man, just tell me you have a huge crush on her"
"You can tell?"
"Pretty much, yes. Plus, the painkillers have a funny effect on you.
I sigh frustrated

"Listen to my advice, Mando. When she's here don't talk. You sound like an idiot. At least until the effect goes away"
"So I don't talk. Will you talk?"
"Just shut up, man" she laughs lightly punching my arm.
I don't find it funny, but I chuckle too.

In that moment Kai enters in with Grogu. She is smiling, and I feel warmth spreading in my chest. She brings me my kid, looking at me and Cara.
"Hey, look who came to see dad"
"Kid!"
Grogu leans over me with a little smile
"Dad"
He puts his tiny hand on the bandages
"I don't need cure. I'm already good" I say to him as he lays in the space beside me.

"Mando?"
I look towards the doors to see Greef Karga... and Mayfield.
What is he doing here?
"Greef, good to see you. Mayfield? Weren't you on the run?"
"H-hey!" he awkwardly waves
Cara finishes for him standing up from the gurney and going towards him "Migs managed to redeem himself"
Migs?
I see Mayfield smiling at her.
"Migs?"
"It's my first name"
I look at them both
"Oh wait, are you a thing?"
They answer both at the same time
"Yes" Mayfield
"Shut up" Cara

I see Kaira near me relaxing a bit, I didn't notice she was tense. Did she think Cara liked me and she felt jealous? Or it's just my mind racing, affected by the meds?

"We'll leave you to rest. It's good to see you again, and alive" Greef says before heading out with Cara and Mayfield.
Now it's just me and Grogu.
And Kaira.
Oh, crap.

"Hey" she sits on a stool
"Hey"
"Are you okay?"
"Yes,they left my helmet on, but the chest plate is destroyed"
"Yeah I saw. You got messed up bad, huh?"
"I'm good now" With you I want to add, but I manage to control my speech. The meds must be starting to run out "The droids did well. I don't trust droids, but these are okay"

"You got us worried, Grogu was so happy when I told him you were okay"
"Thank you for helping me and bringing me here. And for bringing Grogu now. And for-"
She chuckles causing me to stop
"You're quite talkative now, what did they give you?"
"I won't laugh, it isn't funny"
"Oh, come on. For once you seem a human"
"What is that supposed to mean?!" I fake anger and push her a little, causing her to chuckle again. And that sound is what is slowly waking me up.
"What are you doing? You won't move me with this little strength"
"Wanna bet?"
"Stay down, Djarin. Rest while you can"

"You scared me there, Mando. The nurse droid said that if it wasn't for the Beskar you would have died"
"I didn't. You brought me here and I'm okay"
"Yeah apart from the leg and the broken ribs..."
"Kai, don't feel guilty. You did good. You saved me, not only the Beskar"

I see her raising her eyes from the ground towards me and for the first time in my life I feel like talking, ignoring Cara's advice.
"I like your name"
"You do?"
"It reminds me of a Mandalorian legend, Ka'ra"
She puts her elbows on the bed to sustain her head as she listens to me. I stop for a second, distracted by her, then shook my head and continue
"The Ka'ra are ancient religious Mandalorians. They believed that the stars were the spirits of the fallen rulers of Mandalore. Like a council. Now we're not that superstitious anymore"

Kaira looks at Grogu smiling.
"My mom had a similar belief, when I was little she told me that all the people I cared about that died lived there, and my dad was the brightest star of all"
"Then I guess he might know my parents"
"You lost them a long time ago, didn't you?"
I nod
"I was little, they got killed. The Mandalorians saved me, so I joined them"
"Is that why you protected Grogu?"
"He reminded of myself"
I feel the presence of Kaira's hand on mine, comforting me.
"Your name in my family's native language reminds me of the sound that a bell makes... Din-don"
I look at her for a few seconds, then laugh a little even though pain spreads a little in my chest
"What, it's true!"
"I don't doubt that. But as much as I enjoy when you make me laugh, don't do it, it hurts a bit"
She freezes and squeezes my hand.
"Oh no I'm sorry"
I chuckle again, for once I don't care about the pain.

Slowly I feel focused and alert like normal, the painkillers have run out.
"I feel you normal again" Kaira says
I nod
"Too bad, I like the chatty Din"
I'm glad I have the helmet on, if I didn't the whole city would see my face red as fire, smiling like an idiot.

A/N
Hi everyone, how are you doing?
You can't even imagine how much I love high Din, I hope it's as funny as I picture it in my mind.

What about the Ka'ra legend? I found it on the wookiepedia. If someone knows more I'd appreciate a comment about it, I'm really curious about this.

You also saw that Cara is with Mayfield now, so here's the poll: do you ship them together?
I'm sorry if it's cringey for some of you, but I chose this to happen also because of the Kaira's little display of jealousy.

Anyway, see you next chapter!

-Haar'chak_Kaira