speech

[guren's pov]

"And finally, Guren Ichinose." Mrs. Rikudo closed her clipboard.

I was shocked, I admit that. I wouldn't have thought Mrs. Rikudo would put me in the same group as the prestigious Shinya and Mahiru Hiragi. Well, maybe not so much of Shinya, but you get my point.

When I glanced at Shinya, I realized he was looking at me too, studying my expression. My violet eyes locked onto his sky blue ones, only for a second, or maybe an eternity, and he looked away quickly, his ears turning red. Damn.

I saw Mahiru glare at Shinya like it was his fault we were put into a group together. Cynical as always. 

I never liked Mahiru Hiragi, not sure if I told you before. Honestly, I don't like any of the Hiragi's, Shinya is the kind of exception. Kureto is serious and acts like he's above everyone else, which he is, but whatever. Seishiro is a jerk and a bully and doesn't care about anyone but himself. 

I was still looking at Mahiru when her amber eyes met mine. I thought she was going to make a face and narrow her eyes but she smiled and waved. 

Frowning, I wondered what was she playing at? Was she being nice to me?

I felt everyone's gaze on me, even the teacher. I could feel Shinya's gaze burning into me, no scratch that, I felt that he was staring right through me, reading me like a book. 

I think I turned a little red. Sayuri was looking at me with sympathy in her brown eyes while Shigure's shoulders were shaking and her small mouth was quirking up in a small smile.

"Eyes to the front," Mrs. Rikudo tapped her clipboard and everyone reluctantly dragged their gaze towards her. It probably took about 5 minutes. Shinya was the last to look away. I made a mental note.

"This is your assignment," Mrs. Rikudo cleared her throat and put on her reading glasses, "you are to write a speech together. You will all write about the same topic and I will choose the topic for all of you."

There was a lot of groaning around the room. I think this assignment would have been fun if we could have chosen our group members.

"Now sit in your groups and I will tell you your topic," Mrs. Rikudo snapped her clipboard close and I swear I saw a few kids jump at the sound.

I glanced at Shinya and he looked at me. We both looked at Mahiru who was looking at us, willing us to come over and sit with her. I looked at Shiniya again and he leaned back into his seat, unwilling to budge.

I sighed and motioned for Mahiru to come over. I regretted it when it finished, she would probably give me a verbal beating for ordering a Hiragi around. I braced myself.

"Hi!" Mahiru came over and said in the most cheerful voice I have ever heard in my life. My eyebrows shot up in surprise and Shinya laughed at my expression. I glared at him but his dazzling smile didn't falter.

Let's pretend I didn't say dazzling. 

Mahiru pulled a chair and sat in front of me. I didn't know why she didn't sit next to Shinya instead. Shinya pulled his chair over and sat next to me. Great.

I'm not claustrophobic or anything but let's just say I'm not a people person. 

"I'm quite glad to be in this group, believe it or not," Mahiru smiled, "at least I'm not in one with lots of drama."

Drama? I raised an eyebrow and felt Shinya do so too. I dropped it because I felt slightly uncomfortable doing something in sync with the guy.