the lavenders that grow on his porch

[shinya pov]

The bell rang and I walked out of the school.

The sun beat down on my face and I shielded my eyes with my hands. I know the sun is warm and happy and all, but I've never been a fan of it. Always gave me sunburn and never a tan.

I spotted Mahiru and Guren waiting for me near the front gate. They were engaged in a conversation. Mahiru was laughing.

My heart dropped to my butt. 

I jogged halfheartedly towards them and waved, pretending like this was the best day in the world. 

"Hey there! Sorry, I'm late," I say as I stop in front of them, making a show of panting and wiping my brow. 

No one said 'it's fine' or 'you're not late at all'. Though it was expected, I felt my heart drop even lower.

"Alright, let's go," Guren lead the way to his car. It was a nice car, not as big as the limousine the Hiragis drove in, of course, but nice nevertheless.

"I call shotgun," I say and get in before Guren or Mahiru could protest. I avoided looking into the rearview mirror, knowing that I'll meet Mahiru's scorching gaze.

Guren got in next to me and stuck the car key in the ignition. The engine (green died there) purred to life and Guren backed into reverse. He drove out of the parking space as smoothly as the drivers who send us to school. 

I reached over to switch the radio station, my elbow brushing Guren's hand when he placed it on the joystick. I didn't mind. He didn't seem to notice.

Mahiru, however.

Oh, Mahiru, my blessed foster sister, she was seething so hard I could practically see it. She tried hard not to show it since Guren was constantly checking the rearview mirror (I wasn't sure if he was checking on her or observing the cars behind him. I decided the latter was more convincing). 

I wasn't sure whether Guren could notice or not. I have lived with Mahiru for a long time already so I've grown used to reading her emotions. But Guren didn't strike me as a dumb person at all. He seemed to be able to read all my emotions and expressions, the same way I could understand his.

It's as if we have this special bond. 

I glance out the window, already tired of looking at Mahiru's perfect features. I see the familiar streets whiz by. It's all a grey blur. 

I pass the local cat cafe where I always go during term break. I wonder if the cats there are alright. 

Suddenly the car stops and I lurch forward in my seat, surprised. 

"Sorry," Guren mutters as I glance at him. He almost ran a red light.

My heart is beating fast out of my chest. The truth is, I hate cars. My parents, my real ones, both died on the road. They were walking normally on a pedestrian crossing when a car ran them over. They both died in an instant. The car driver was never fined.

Sometimes I wonder what kind of person I would be if my mom and dad were still here. Would I have gone to the same school I do now? Would I have met the Hiragis? Would I have met Sayuri and Shigure? Would I have met Mito and Norito?

Would I have met Guren?

I watch the light change from red to orange to green. Probably not. I wasn't exactly born into a rich home. 

I always hated that car driver. My parents would still be alive if it weren't for their stupid mistake. I wouldn't have met so many cruel people if it weren't for them. I would have been happy if they never got behind the driving wheel on the 22nd of November. On my birthday.