Chapter 20

Stepping into the past was strange, I immediately saw Impa on arrival and she nodded at me. "At last. I've been expecting you, Link. You are doubtless overwhelmed, so I will explain things as simply as I can. This is the Temple of Hylia, thought it will come to be known as the Sealed Temple sometime in the future. You stand in the past, ages before your own time. Here the goddess, Hylia, has only just sealed away Demise..... And little time has passed since the goddess sent the outcropping of rock into the sky that would one day become Skyloft. It is true to its name. You have passed through the Gate of Time to an era in the distant past. You will have many questions. But for now, you must proceed back through the great doors behind you. It is there that the person you've risked life and blood to defend wait for you."

I smiled, knowing within the next few minutes I'd get to see my sister again. I thanked Impa and made my way to the doors behind her and walked through them. As I walked into the room, I heard the soft harp and I smiled. Zelda turned around and smiled at me as I did at her. "You've come so far, Link... I'm glad you made it. I imagine Impa filled you in. We've traveled very far from home.... to the distant past. In this era, the wounds inflicted on the land during the battle between the goddess and demon king known as Demise have not yet healed. All the fairy tales about that war we heard growing up in Skyloft from Father.... Incredible as it may seem, they appear to be all too real. I think it's time you learned the whole story. Let me try to explain....." She said to me.

"The old gods created a supreme power that gave anyone who possessed it the ability to shape reality and fulfill any desire. They called it The Triforce. In his thirst to make the world his own, Demise readied a massive army of monsters for war. He sought to take the Triforce for himself by force. The goddess feared for her people. She used her power to send both them and the Triforce into the sky on a slice of earth she cut away from the land. This floating rock became the new home of our people. In time, it came to be known as Skyloft. After a long and fierce battle, the goddess, Hylia, succeeded in sealing away Demise. However, soon after the demon king was imprisoned, it became clear that the seal would not hold long against his fearsome power. Hylia had suffered grave injuries in her battle with the demon king. She knew that if he broke free again, there would be no stopping him.

And if the demon king were to free himself, it would mean the end of the world for all beings of this land. In order to put an end to the demon king, Hylia devised two separate plans and set them both into motion." I stood, mouth agape as Zelda to walk towards me. "First, she created Fi. She made the spirit that resides in your to serve a single purpose: to assist her chosen hero on his mission, that's you dear brother." She smiled softly. "Her second plan.... was to abandon her divine form and transfer her soul to the body of a mortal. She made this sacrifice, as you have likely guessed, so that the supreme power created by the old gods could one day be used. For while the supreme power of the Triforce was created by gods, all of its power can never be wielded by one. Knowing this power was her last and only hope, the goddess gave up her divine powers and her immortal form.

You've probably figured our by now, haven't you, Link?" She was right, I had. My dear sister, my best friend was the goddess Hylia reincarnated as a mortal. I nodded with tears in my eyes. "Yeah, I have. There's a reason we're siblings and grew up together if not by blood, by fate. Because I'm the chosen hero and my sister is the goddess reborn as a mortal. The day of the ceremony, Ghirahim's tornado tossed me out of the sky and down to the world below. I was nearly captured by the demonic forces, but I was rescued at the last moment by the old woman who live in the Sealed Grounds. I had no memory at all of my existence as Hylia, but she explained it to me. She helped me to remember who I was....and what I had to do. I set out to pray at the goddess statues located in each temple across the land. Each statue stirred up memories within me. After I visited them all, Impa, an agent of the goddess, led me here.... to the past."