q-word

Ashley-Rae could count on one hand the good things that had come out of her constantly being on the move with her father, and him not dying accounted for at least two and a half of those reasons, but another was the fact that nearly everywhere they went, Ashley seemed to pick up some important contacts with all sorts of dealers and tradesmen and travellers who were willing to sell anything for a price.
Of course, she always returned the favour, which was usually just selling them healing potions and below market-price, so usually at the end of their deals everyone was happy.

So as soon as she'd learned it was Charlie's birthday coming up, she wrote to every contact she had, enquiring about a few ideas for him. She was right, at least she thought so, in that she owed him for listening to her, especially as he'd kept it all to himself. She'd hate for her father to hear what she'd said; he'd feel so guilty, and it wasn't true, what she said, not really. She loved him, that's why she did what she did, and of course, he'd sacrificed just as much for her, so they were even in her books.

Hearing back from each trader and traveller the next day, she placed her order and waited for the arrival of the package anxiously, hoping that it would arrive in time.

She let her dad know before she left for work what she'd ordered, so that if it arrived when she wasn't there, he was aware and knew what to do, but it wasn't any use: somehow Nick's owl found her in the hospital, clearly annoyed at having to find her rather than being able to drop it at her hut. She grinned, taking the package from the bird, directing it to rest in her house before putting it carefully in the back of the cubby where she made sure it was warm enough to survive. Nick always came through with his promises.

"What's that?" Pete asked, peering over curiously from where he was treating Dan. Having been there for a few weeks she was starting to figure out who was who - well, of those that frequented the hospital. No surprise then, that Charlie had been the first name she'd learned other than Kali's and the other healers.

"Just an order from a contact in New Zealand, that's all." She smiled, getting back to work. She was a little too surprised at the amount of injuries they saw at the sanctuary considering there were only twenty-five people including herself and Pete. Then again, dragons were very volatile, and often angered by the smallest thing, so it probably wasn't unusual for people working with some of the most dangerous creatures in the wizarding world.

Pete didn't look convinced but didn't push it, which she was grateful for. She finished treating Alyssa before discharging her with instructions to not turn her back to another dragon, and sat back waiting for the next wave of injuries to come through.

"Hey!" Charlie stuck his head in the door, "is it cool if I bring Bill and his girlfriend in to introduce you?"

Ash turned to Pete who nodded, pulling the curtain around his patient, and Ashley nodded to him, smiling. "Sure, it's not very exciting."

Charlie opened the door fully to allow a taller, thinner red-head into the hospital, as well as a woman with blonde hair and a pleasant look about her. "So this is the hospital. At the moment it's fairly quiet-"

"Charlie!" Ashley snapped, and Pete pulled the curtain back just enough to yell, "Say that again and I'll leave you to die next time you're injured."

The two guests seemed taken aback, a little unsure about how to react.

Charlie just grinned, "I'm just trying to liven things up for you! Anyway, this is Bill and his girlfriend Fleur."

Ashley smiled, holding out her hand to Bill, "Ashley-Rae. Any version of that will do."

Bill shook her hand, nodding. "You're a Healer? Little young, aren't you?"

Fleur scoffed, "Ignore him," Ashley blinked at her accent, "men are clueless."

"French? Beauxbatons?" Ashley smiled, and notice Fleur relax immediately.

"Yes, I took a job at the bank to improve my English. It's where I met Bill." She hugged Ashley, kissing each cheek.

Ashley nodded with a smile, "in that case I'll stick to English, rather than French."

Charlie looked as though he wanted to say something, but was interrupted by someone at the door shouting, "INCOMING!"

Glaring at him, she threatened, "say the Q-word in here again and I'll leave you in a ditch."