honeymoon phase

With moving back to the sanctuary and with all of the chaos that had come with it, especially with the new timetable and shifts, Ashley had had to give up Callia to one of the trainers. Taking care of a kitten had been fun, and she'd enjoyed the company, and it broke her heart when she'd had to do it, but it wasn't fair on Callia to be all alone for so many hours.
And even months later, Ashley still missed her, but it was getting easier. That being said, she hadn't visited Mango or Mila in a while, so she decided after her first shift on Sunday, she would go down to the pit and visit them.

James was acting a little stranger, though it was a good change from the previous few days where he seemed to be preoccupied with something that made him anxious. Today it appeared he was preoccupied with something that made him daydream with a smile on his face, though Ashely couldn't know what would have him like that; it couldn't be a girl, for as far as she knew he still identified as aro-ace.

"What's got you all dreamy and happy?" She smiled.

"Can't I just be happy?" James grinned back, though there was definitely something different about it, Ash thought.

"I suppose... but you being this happy for no reason is not normal and I'm going to get to the bottom of it."

He rolled his eyes playfully, "I don't doubt that for a second."

Ashley narrowed her eyes at him before walking away to hand over the hospital to Katy and Taylor.

James knew she would find out eventually, but him and Jace wanted to tell her together, which probably meant they would tell her when they changed over for the shifts the next morning at 7. Not that he minded, it wasn't as though he couldn't keep a secret, but he knew he seemed a lot happier than normal and Ashley knew him too well for her to not notice and think something was going on. The only saving grace he had was the fact that she still thought he was romantic - and he wasn't completely convinced he wasn't, or at least some variant of it if that was even possible - so she probably wouldn't guess what was happening. Not immediately, anyway.

Ashley smiled at James as they walked out, separating as James went home to get some food and Ashley walked over to the pits to go and see Mango and Mila. She knew she should probably get lunch first, but she wasn't particularly hungry with all the coffee she'd had on shift, and she decided it couldn't hurt to eat a little later anyway.

Though, admittedly, she didn't expect to see Charlie there already with Mango, trying to get her to listen to him.

"Afternoon, Charl," Ashley smiled, giving him a quick kiss.

He smiled, relaxing a lot more now she was there. "Afternoon. Nice shift?"

She nodded. "What're you doing with Mango?" Reaching up, she scratched Mango's scales as she bowed her head to allow her to do so.

"Trying to teach her some basic commands, but she's never listened to me. Maybe she'll listen to you; you were always her favourite."

Ashley stared at him in shock. "I'm sorry, you want me to what? I have no idea how to even do that, Charlie, I've never really properly worked with dragons."

He smiled softly, "I'm here, I'll guide you." He moved to stand behind her, changing her position slightly, to look slightly more authoritative and told her what to say, helping her with anything she wasn't sure about.

"So like..." Ashley waved her hand down, instructing Mango to crouch and lower her head to them. "Like that?" She asked as Mango crouched, still looking annoyed that she was being asked to do so. Ashley wasn't aware dragons had such expressive faces or eyes, but she could definitely tell how Mango was feeling about the whole thing.