debt

Of course, Ashley being Ashley, she was too anxious to sleep that night. Not that she had much choice; she was never incredible at heating spells, so she was constantly having to cast them to ensure the egg would survive.
Her dad was better, but it did wear off after a few hours, and she didn't want to bother him.

She decided to take a walk, just to try and calm herself down, though this time she'd be more careful climbing any mountains. Well, now that her dad had taken over the living room, her only way out without disturbing him was through the window. Fortunately, all the houses at the sanctuary were bungalows, so it really wasn't much of a reach.

Making sure the egg was with her and firmly secured, Ash jumped out, breathing in the brisk night air. Casting multiple heating spells on the egg. she made her way through the frost to the ridge that acted as a barrier between most of the bungalows and the dragons. Most of the time everyone would climb over the top to get to the other side, Ashley included seeing as the hospital was also on that side of the ridge, but there was a way through for those who weren't a fan of heights.

She sat, cradling her bag with the dragon egg inside, staring over the sanctuary. It really was impressive. The rocky mountains loomed over her, even from her vantage point, and she wondered if how she was feeling right now was how an ant felt in a garden.

"You're out late." A familiar voice sliced through her thoughts.

"Couldn't sleep," She responded almost too quietly.

"Can I join you?"

Ashley nodded, watching Charlie sit down next to her out of the corner of her eye. "I was just admiring the view. Feeling completely insignificant in comparison to the universe, you know, casual stuff." Laughing quietly, she turned to him, "what's got you out so late?"

He shrugged, still grinning from her comment. "One of the dragons is sick, I'm just worried. We've brought in a specialist but..."

Ash nodded. He didn't have to finish his sentence, she knew what was going through her mind as her dad had voiced his concerns about the same matter earlier that evening. "Happy birthday, by the way."

"Huh?"

"It's past midnight."

Smiling, Charlie half turned away. "Thank you. I've got the day off for it to spend with Bill and Fleur."

"That's good." She nodded, leaning back a little.

"So at least I won't be bothering you in the hospital on my birthday."

Ashley laughed, "you're hardly a bother, only when you say the q-word."

He laughed, nodding, "after what happened to you guys yesterday after I said it, I don't think I'll ever use that word again!"

Ashley smiled, hugging her knees to her chest, remembering suddenly that she had his present sat right there on her lap. "Oh crap, I almost forgot!"

Charlie jumped from the sudden exclamation from her, looking a little confused. She laughed quietly at his reaction before pulling out the carefully wrapped-in-an-insulated-fur-blanket egg.

"Happy birthday, be carefully it's incredibly fragile." She handed it over, making sure he had the package before fully letting go.

Gently, he pulled back the blanket, noticing the distinct shiny grey egg, his face lighting up immediately. "How did you get one of these! Merlin's beard Ashley-Rae, that must have cost a fortune!" He excitedly placed it down, being careful not to crack it before surprising Ashley with a hug.

Except they were both still sat down, and she'd been taken entirely by surprise, so they fell backwards, with Charlie crushing Ashley.
"Oof. Ow, Charlie, can't breathe!" She gasped, taking a deep breath as soon as he lifted himself off her, still grinning.

"I still can't believe you managed to find one! An actual Antipodean Opaleye egg? You must be paying that off until you're eighty!"

Sitting back up, she shrugged, "I know a few people. I have a deal with the traveller who procured it for me, wasn't too much, already paid my debt to him."

"Thank you so much! I don't think I'll ever stop being able to stop saying thank you, really, you don't know how happy this makes me." He grinned, eyes still shining like a child on Christmas day.

"It's ok, honestly. Consider this a debt payment to you, for listening to my ranting that time."

Much to her surprise, however, Charlie shook his head, cradling the egg with wonder. "No, this definitely puts me in your debt."