it's fine

Charlie had never imagined that the girl he met at the dragon sanctuary a year and a half ago would be his sister in law, but there he was with Bill getting ready for his wedding. Being best man wasn't really what he'd ever thought it would be - not that Charlie ever really thought he would be best man to anybody - but he did suppose they were in the middle of a war, so most of his duties had been thrown out and now consisted of making sure Bill was ready on time and everything for the wedding was ready on time. Nothing too big.

Bill was concerned, too, about Charlie. The man had barely spoken a word to anyone about what had happened with Ashley-Rae, though it had become apparent to him that something had gone on as soon as Charlie shut down conversation about her rather abruptly one time and refused to engage in any conversation relating to her. It made things a little awkward for the brothers at first but they'd soon gotten over it.

"Are you two nearly done, we need Charlie to help with the tent?" Arthur called through the door, and Bill nodded to him, letting him go out to the field where the marquee was to be put up for the wedding.

Charlie emerged, ignoring his dad's comments about not being dressed yet, and went out to the front with him, pulling out his wand and getting in position. His dad counted down and they all cast their spells, lifting the tent above the ground so they could anchor it in place, using a few more spells to ensure it would be secure.

They all heard a crack somewhere, and, assuming it was another family member, Charlie left to go get ready inside.

"Alright, Charlie?" George asked, his toothbrush stuck out of the hole where his ear used to be. "You're not dressed yet, don't tell us the best man is running late."

"Mum'll go nuts if she sees you with your toothbrush like that." He laughed, shaking his head.

"Oh, who's this?" Molly asked, drawing the attention of the brothers from the kitchen to the backdoor.

"Um, hi, I'm-"

"Ashley." Charlie could hardly breathe.

Ashley stopped, eyes glued to Molly's face, and she could feel the blood draining from her face. Slowly, she turned to him, knuckles going white as she clutched her bag strap. "Hey."

Molly looked between the two. "Ashley as in-"

"Ashley-Rae," Ashley whispered.

"As in the Ashley-"

"Yeah." Charlie's voice was barely audible.

Molly cursed, and everyone was staring at the two of them, wondering who was going to say something first, who was going to break the tension.

"Ashley!" Fleur called out, "you made it!"

"Fleur." Ashley relaxed and ran over to the bride. "How are you?"

"I am perfect! I love what you've done with your hair." She touched the now short blonde 'do that Ashley was sporting.

Ashley nodded. "I think I should maybe... not be here in this room." She whispered, and Fleur glanced over where everyone was still staring at Ashley, Charlie included.

"Ah, oui. Come with me, you may change in my room with us girls." She took her by the hand and pulled her up the stairs and out of sight.

And then all the attention turned to Charlie.

"That is Ashley-Rae?" Fred said from the doorway, still in shock.

Molly shushed him, "don't be so rude."

Bill appeared now, at the bottom of the stairs, unnerved by the fact that Charlie was seemingly staring at him. "What? Is there something wrong?"

Snapping out of it, Charlie shook his head and forced a smile. "Everything is fine. It's good, we're all... good." He finished with a sigh. "I should go and get changed."

Bill gave him a strange look, walking over to the rest of his family to ask what it was all about.

"Do you have any idea why he's just reacted like that?" Molly whispered to her husband who shrugged. "Bill, he talks to you most, did anything happen with Ashley-Rae? She's just turned up, and-"

"Ashley-Rae is here? Oh- Oh, Fleur's invited her for the wedding, oh Merlin's pants on fire."

"So something happened?" Molly grabbed his arm, "what happened? Is he ok?"

Bill shrugged, trying to wriggle free, "he won't say, won't talk about her. If you let me go I can find out."

She nodded, letting go of his arm. "Let us know if he's ok."

"I'm sure he's fine, mum. He said so himself." Fred said dismissively, earning a swat around the head from George.

"I always knew I was the smarter twin, but that was the most moronic thing I've ever heard come out of your mouth."