incoming

Ashley never thought she'd see the day when Charlie was in the hospital by himself and uninjured until it actually happened. Except when he put the newspaper on the desk in front of her, she wished it had never happened, willing time to go back so she didn't have to read in the papers that the Ministry had caught eleven Death Eaters and were even now admitting that Voldemort was indeed back and that Harry Potter had fought him in the Ministry itself. She felt sick.

Charlie looked pissed, worried, and even relieved at the same time, talking about how finally the Ministry were seeing sense, maybe this time they wouldn't leave it to the kids to fight their war, how Ron and Ginny were so brave going to the Ministry alongside Harry... but none of it really sunk in, Ashley felt too overwhelmed. She knew before that Voldemort was back, but she'd never had to read it, never really had to confront that fact until it was quite literally staring her in the face.

"Ashley! We've got incoming!" Pete yelled, and Ashley snapped right back to reality.

"I've gotta-" She cut herself off by running back out to the front of the hospital where it looked like half the sanctuary was being carried through the doors. "Oh my fuck, what the hell happened?" She asked no one in particular, hoping someone would answer.

"Dragon went on a rampage and broke free of the restraints. Not a pretty sight." Someone grimaced, and Ashley stared about the hospital.

"Well, seems like we've got work to do." She muttered to herself, grabbing as much as she could carry through, handing every patient potions for pain, casting spells to heal bones and burns, using creams and ointments like they had an endless supply, which they probably should have looking at the absolute carnage in front of her. Pete was busy on his side of the room, going through supplies at ten miles an hour, trying to contain the chaos with little success.

Ashley worked as fast as she could, discharging those who were safe to go, trying to get to everyone as quickly as possible, triaging patients in her head and trying not to let everything overwhelm her. It was easier for her to focus on work, it distracted her from everything else.
Eventually, though, she was done, with a few still admitted, but most sent home to recuperate until tomorrow, and she was back with that sick feeling of dread in the bottom of her stomach.

"How on earth did you work that fast?" Charlie was staring at her in amazement.

Ashley blinked, not really knowing what he was getting at.

"Seriously, you had more patients than Pete and you still finished at the same time as him, it was like ablur watching you treat someone and move onto the next person!" He was still staring, and Ashley had to avert her gaze to not get caught tripping over her own words. She really did need to get over this stupid crush.

"I'm just good at working under pressure, I suppose. I always used to bury myself in work so I'd give myself way too much in too short a time so I wouldn't have to think about anything else going on with my mum or my dad, especially when he was in the hospital." She shrugged, not entirely sure why she was telling him this, but it felt better than the silence.

"Mum?"

Ashley paused, scuffing her feet on the floor. "Yeah, she walked out when I was young. Couldn't handle... well, couldn't handle dad being the way he is all the time, never compromising or anything, so she quit." Ashley couldn't bring herself to look up. "Sometimes I hate her for it, sometimes I envy her for being able to make that decision."

Charlie placed a hand on her shoulder, trying to get her to meet his gaze, but she refused. "You're doing amazing, Ash. Really, I'm proud of you for keeping going through it all, especially during the times we're going through right now."

She smiled briefly, but it didn't reach her eyes and he could tell she was shoving all her pain back down again. "Anyway, were Ron and Ginny ok after the whole Department of Mysteries thing?"

Charlie faltered, not wanting to change the subject, but knowing Ashley really didn't want to talk about it make his heart hurt. "Yeah, few cuts and bruises, nothing Madame Pomfrey couldn't fix."