process the impossible

After Ashley had wrapped her head around it all, James talking with her about his newly discovered romantic orientation, the four of them decided to head over to the town after James and Ashley had finished at the hospital, going on a double-date type thing. Jace and Charlie decided to hang around the hospital rather than disappearing upstairs again, keeping James company when Ashley had to shut herself in the office for the better part of an hour to finish the paperwork she hadn't completed before. Although she was well-versed in the whole process, and was good at getting it done, it was the worst thing about the job by far, and she could definitely understand why Pete always put it off or palmed it off to herself.

However, she got it done as quickly as she could, finishing just as it came to three, and the two couples parted ways to get ready for their date-type thing, agreeing to meet up at James and Jace's.

"I'm still in awe as to how you missed them straight-up telling you they were dating." Charlie teased through the bathroom door as Ashley got ready for her shower.

"I was tired! I'd been up for at least twenty-four hours."

Charlie grinned, leaning against the door. "It certainly made it amusing when you realised what they'd told you."

Ashley rolled her eyes at the bathroom door, "me falling out of bed wasn't for your amusement," she turned the shower on, "could you make some tea? I know we're going out for coffee, but I just..."

He smiled softly, "of course, my love."

Ashley blushed a little, stepping into the shower.

Heading to the kitchen, Charlie wondered if he should broach the topic of moving in together, though he wasn't sure where. They spent the most time at his, for sure, but he wondered if she would want to be close to the hospital. Or even if she thought it was too early. He sighed, making up the tea, and leaning against the counter. He wondered if it would be a good idea, though he wasn't sure where she stood. He wasn't a mind-reader, and the last time he'd not done something in regards to their relationship, it had nearly destroyed even their friendship. But he didn't want to cause an argument or push her into something she didn't want. Maybe he'd ask James and Jace if he had the chance.

"Hey, is this one mine?" She asked softly, noticing how he was stuck in his own world.

He blinked a few times before smiling and nodding. "Your hair's still wet, are you still tired?"

Shaking her head, she took a sip of the now perfect temperature tea. "I was wondering if you'd be able to braid it for me? Just two simple ones, nothing fancy."

"I'd love to," he said with a smile, and she smiled softly.

Ashley was starting to feel a lot more relaxed and comfortable in the relationship, and felt even after only a week as though maybe she could do this forever. Not in the honeymoon phase, though it seemed they might be coming out of that a little, but be with Charlie. He was everything she ever wanted, even his flaws, she loved. That being said, they'd only been dating for a total of five days really, even if she'd loved him for years, so she really didn't want to rush into anything.

"Here, I've finished my tea, do you want to sit and I'll braid your hair while you finish yours?" He cut through her thoughts, though she didn't mind; she didn't particularly want to go down that rabbit hole just yet.

She sat as still as she could while still finishing her tea, smiling softly as Charlie dried and braided her hair, kissing her forehead softly as he finished. "That's cute."

He laughed, "so are you. Come on, we should go to meet James and Jace."

She nodded, grabbing a jumper from a chair and smiled as she realised it was Chalie's. There was just something about wearing her boyfriend's hoodies that made her feel warm inside.