changes

Ashley didn't know if she'd ever have been ready for what was about to ensue, but it was better now than too late. The three of them (Pete had left two days after she'd arrived) were all in the hospital that afternoon after James had been sleeping all morning and Ashley had had so much coffee it felt as though everything was slightly disjointed, waiting for the five new Healers that Ashley had taken on. How she'd found it in her budget to hire them all, neither Abi nor James knew, though James at least had a sneaking suspicion it had something to do with the Order. He'd joined as soon as Charlie had approached him, as had Pete and Laura, though he didn't know if Abi knew about it, so he hadn't asked.

Soon enough, a group of people all chatting away filed through, each with their own medical bag, stethoscope, and a few even wearing scrubs from their old hospitals, piling their luggage that they'd brought with them near the door out of the way.

Ashley walked forward with a grin on her face, greeting every single one, and James rolled his eyes at himself for not realising what was so obvious to him.
"So, these are my current healers, and as in every hospital you've all worked in, there's a pecking order. These two, as well as me, we're at the top. If I'm unavailable, you go to James, if for some reason the two of us are out of reach, next in line is Abigale. At all times one of us will be reachable, so there are no excuses. We all know what this arrangement is, and I expect every one of you to honour Dumbledore with your work today."

There was a general mumble of agreement, and Ashley took over once again, going through the schedule that she hadn't even shown to Abi or James, though she'd spoken with them previously about changing the length of shifts. He was pleasantly surprised to learn that nearly all of his shifts were with Ashley and that he even had a full day off. Abi seemed reasonably impressed with it, though James suspected that it was secretly because she had two days off instead of one like most people, and had fewer shifts than most other full-time Healers. The American, Dominic? James couldn't remember, but he was only part-time, with four shifts through the week, and Izzy, the red-haired Scot had even less at only three shifts.

He noticed he had the rest of the day off, his next shift being at three pm the next day. He sat back, waiting for Ashley to come back to the office for more coffee after giving a tour to the newbies, and smiled as she complained about there not being enough coffee. "When were you going to tell me what your actual role in the Order is?"

Ashley barely spared him a glance, but he could tell she was trying to figure out what to say. "It's not something you can just casually say, and when I told you I was in the Order I just sort of... well, I didn't say anything, and after that, it just sounded a little too much like I was bragging."

James rolled his eyes. "Head of the Healers in the Order of the Phoenix. When Dumbledore said we'd be having contact with our boss when we were needed, I never imagined to meet you so soon!"

Hitting his arm lightly, she sat on the desk he was leaning against, looking out as the Healers all talked and milled around the hospital, dispersing slowly to their homes, most of whom shared. "Thanks for letting Jace move in with you."

James shrugged, "I've got a spare room that no one's using, and he seems like a chill dude." He nodded to where he was trying to find a space for his bag in the cubbies. "We might need to build some more."

Ash shrugged, "I'll do it after my shift."

"Hey, what's with your double, graveyard shift on Sunday and the morning shift on Monday? After a morning shift on Sunday as well? Are you trying to kill yourself?" He asked, suddenly noticing what she'd done on the schedule.

Cringing, she turned to him with a face that told him she'd been caught out. "Well, you see, I was sort of hoping that maybe in that in the Monday shift I could get my paperwork done for the week and then leave you in charge?"

James fought a smile.

"I'm like right upstairs anyway, I'm super close so you can come and get me in the event of a mass-casualty?"

James grinned, nodding, "sure. I was worried for a second you were just giving yourself all of the misplaced shifts. Or avoiding people."

Ashley rolled her eyes but secretly hoping he wouldn't see through her and realise that's pretty much exactly what she was doing. Or, well, avoiding Charlie, not just people, but she knew that's what he'd meant.

"I'll see you later Ash." He waved, nodding to Jace as he left to get some lunch and go back to bed.

"He's who I'm staying with?" Jace asked. "He seems cool." He replied as she nodded. "I don't know who Pete is, but I've put my things in his cubby, for now, I couldn't find one with enough room."

"Ah, he doesn't work here anymore, I'll build some more after our shift." She mentioned, sitting back with her now lukewarm coffee. "How've things been in America since you got back?" The two had been pretty good friends when they'd met, first in Australia, and then again in Spain, as he'd arrived in the same area as her and her father to work in a sanctuary hospital. In spite of their six-year age gap, they got on like a house on fire, and he'd been the only person she'd kept in touch with through all of her travels as nothing more than a friend. It was nice to have him there to talk to in person, rather than an entire ocean away.

He shrugged, "not bad, you know. Work was very demanding though, with the lack of funding, the other two hospitals in our area closed down, so we had a massive intake suddenly. I was grateful when you offered this job."

Ashley nodded with a grimace, "I will never understand the American healthcare system. Or lack of it."

"So, tell me about Charlie. How's he been since you got back here?"