last time

It was difficult for Ashley to see Mila and Mango there, eyes dull and void of life. From what she'd heard, they'd died trying to protect each other, staying together until the very end. At least they'd had each other, she could say, at least they weren't alone.
It all looked so harsh in the daylight, she thought. The castle was near falling to pieces, fallen walls and ceilings littering the halls and courtyards.

"Ash."

She turned to see Charlie, eyes red, trying his best to put on a brave face. "Hi, Charl. I was just saying goodbye to them."

He nodded, not meeting her gaze. "I don't think I can go back to the sanctuary yet. Not while my family... My parents have asked me to stay here, and I think I'll say yes."

Ashley nodded. "Ok, well, We can always get James and Jace to send over spare clothes for us until we get things sorted. I'm sure you still have some at your parent's house anyway."

He stared. "You want to stay here?"

"I want to stay with you, Charlie. Your brother was just murdered, you think I'm going to leave you? Besides, someone has to make sure you all eat at least one meal a day."

He leaned into her, resting his head on top of hers. "Thank you."

She just nodded, wrapping an arm around him.

"Charlie."
The two of them turned, facing Mr and Mrs Weasley. "We should get going."

"Ashley's coming too."

"Just for the cooking and cleaning and things you don't want to do." She murmured.

The two nodded, eyes glazed over.

"I'll just go and say goodbye to everyone and I'll be ready." She nodded to Charlie, who failed to smile at her.

Walking through the mess towards the Great Hall turned makeshift hospital, her mind wandered back to when Jace was laid there half dead and tried to imagine what it would have been like to lose him. It felt like someone had torn out her heart still, and he was alive, she dreaded to think how Charlie and his family felt.

"I'm off to stay with Charlie for a while. So I'll probably see you guys later? I don't know when, but for now, if you're going back to the sanctuary, James is in charge of the hospital." She spoke to James and Jace, who still looked half dead. "I'll send word when we're coming back. If you wouldn't mind sending some clothes over when you get there, I'd appreciate that."

James nodded, standing, and hugging her tightly. "Thank you for saving him."

She hugged him back, just as thankful. Jace was her family, the closest thing she'd ever had to a brother. "I'll see you when I see you."

Jace tried to stand, falling back against the wall instead and earning a lot of concerned looks from everyone around him. "I'm fine, I'm ok, just dizzy... I can't stand up Ash, you're going to have to come down here."

Smiling, Ashley knelt in front of him. "Are you sure you're good? Don't be a hero, tell James or anyone if you need anything."

He rolled his eyes, but nodded, becoming for her to come closer, so she did, managing to hug him awkwardly. "Are you sure you're ok? You lost a lot today."

Ashley sighed lightly, squeezing her eyes closed. "I'll be ok."

"Are you sure you're ok?" James crouched, giving Jace another once over, much to his annoyance.

Standing, she turned to Abi and Pete. "Are you two ok? Are you sure? You've been very quiet."

Abi nodded, though her hesitation was clear. "I'm ok."

Pete grinned, "It's just an ankle, I've got another one. Go take care of Charlie."

Giving each of them a hug, Ashley said, "I best see the two of you at my wedding."

"Of course," Pete smiled, "who else is going to keep those two in line?"

Ashley smiled, nodding before waving goodbye, and, for the last time, she walked out of the castle, towards where the Weasley family was waiting for her, and they apparated back to the burrow.