Chapter 1

"Do you want to buy some paintings? Just five dollars! No? Okay..."

I was struggling to make ends meet, and selling art on the street was my one hope for survival at this point. I know this makes me sound like I'm a college student, but I'm actually a thirteen year old girl.

My days are always the same. Wake up in my apartment with my roommate Rose, go to school, sell art after school. Pay the rent, get some food, go to bed, repeat. And it's been the same way for over a year now.

The sun was starting to set over the horizon and I started to put my paintings and sketches back into my portfolio briefcase. I slung the case over my shoulder and headed out towards my apartment.

I pulled the key from my pocket and turned the lock. I opened the door and started to head in the apartment.

But where's Rose?

I started to put my briefcase down when I noticed a note on the bed.

Hey Mills,
I turned myself in to CPS. Let's hope they don't find you. Good luck paying the rent without me. Your little "business" was no help. I'm surprised you didn't get us evicted.
See you once you get kicked out of this dump and on the streets of New York, Millicent.
~Rose

"WHAT THE HELL, ROSE?!" I screamed to no one in particular. Rolling my eyes, I decided I needed to work double today.

If Rose turned me into CPS too, I was gonna be angry. I stormed out of the apartment and back onto the streets.

"Just five dollars! That's all you have to do! Five. Dollars." I said. My persuasion skills were crap.

I was about to give up when a woman walked by and stopped in front of me.

"These pictures are beautiful!" she said to me. I smiled awkwardly and said, "Thanks..."

"How long did it take you to do this one?" she asked.

"A few hours, give or take."

"You're talented. Did you go to art school?"

"No...I go to middle school?"

"What?" the woman asked. I nodded and said, "I go to the middle school just up the street from here, I'm about to graduate seventh grade. I'm thirteen."

"Thirteen...what? Where are your parents?"

"They're gone, I live alone." I said.

"Not anymore. You're coming with me, whatever your name is."

"Penney. Penney Van Aller." I said. "And hold up, I don't know your name."

"Dana Steingold. I work on Broadway. Now come on, Penney, I want you to meet the people I work with."

"O-okay?"

_______

"Who's the girl?"

"Does Dana have a child now?"

"This is Penney, everyone. Penney Van Aller."

"Where have I heard that last name before..." a man said.

Now here's my secret. My real name is Millicent. My mom was the Chief of Medicine at a local hospital, it's right near Broadway. When she died of a heart attack and my dad left, I changed my name so it would be harder for people to figure out who I was. But these people didn't need to know that.

"Must be...deja vu or something." I said. "Anyway, I don't know any of your names."

"I'm Alex, and this is Sophia, Kerry, Presley, Rob, Leslie, and Adam." one of the men said.

"It's a pleasure to meet you all. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better." I said.

"This girl is sweet." Kerry said. I smiled and Dana smiled back at me. "Do you want to go to your apartment and get your stuff?"

"You mean...I'm staying?"

"Of course! Welcome to the Netherworld!"

"THE WHAT?!"