Chapter 13

"Hi." I said to Auburn-Haired Girl. The girl smiled at me and said, "My name's Kate, or Katie, or Kay, or just whatever you want to call me, though I normally go by just Kate. Kate Vidal. What's your name?"

"Penney." I said shyly, shifting awkwardly on my feet. Kate smiled at me and said, "Are you a cancer kid?"

"I guess...yeah. Just got the diagnosis a few hours ago. I assume you are too?" Kate sighed and said, "Yeah. It's been about a month since...it happened. It's...rough. But one thing I've learned from all of this, and one thing I've been told a thousand times over, is that I'm coming out of this a stronger person. And...you will too." Kate checked her phone and said, "I gotta go, Penney, here's my number. Text me if you need anything, okay?"

"Okay. Bye." I said, heading back to my hospital room to try to sleep off the nerves.

_______

"NONONO!"

"Sweetheart, shhh...you need this to get better, okay?"

This had been going on for the past 30 minutes, as Dana hopelessly tried to calm me down when I was getting an IV. I'm absolutely terrified of needles, and this time, nothing was calming my nerves.

"It's just one little pinch, okay, sweetie? Just one little pinch, and it's over. You can hold my hand if you want, okay?" I reluctantly grabbed Dana's hand and squeezed it. "There we go, Penney. Remember? The doctors gave you numbing cream about an hour ago so you won't feel the needle go in as much."

I sighed and leaned back in the chair, closing my eyes and squeezing Dana's hand for dear life. The doctor said, "Is she ready?"

"Yeah." I said in a small voice. I cracked my eyes open and said, "Mommy? I'm scared..." Dana got on the chair with me and said, "Do you want a hug? Would that make you feel better?" I nodded slowly and leaned my head on my mom's shoulder.

Dana pulled out her phone and put on some classical music, and I suddenly felt more relaxed and almost sleepy. I closed my eyes and took a couple of deep breaths.

Then I felt the pinch.

"OW!" I yelled, shooting up and crying a little. Dana gave me a hug and said, "Shhh...it's alright, baby."

I took a deep breath and calmed myself down, and then realized what I had just done. "Wait. I did it!"

"You did, baby. You did." Dana said, and then I saw someone that looked a little familiar.

"Katie!" I yelled, waving Kate over to me. Kate giggled and then I realized 3 other kids were following her. A girl in a hijab, a boy with short, choppy blonde hair, and a girl with long red hair and a hearing aid in her right ear.

"Hey!" Kate said. "These are my friends, Israa, Izi for short, who literally has been a volunteer here for years, Elodie, a cancer survivor, and Bailey, deaf med student and literally the only adult supervision we have. Guys, this is Penney. She just got diagnosed with cancer, I'm not sure what type."

"Wilms Tumor." I said, looking to Dana for confirmation, and she nodded. Dana whispered in my ear, "They seem nice, why don't you hang out with them?"

I nodded and slid off the chair, grabbing my IV pole with me. "Hi." I said shyly.

"Hey. I just want to say...I'm sorry. I know how hard the first few days after the diagnosis can be. If you need any help, or advice, or just want someone to be there for you, I'm your dude. And Kate is too, even though she isn't a dude." Elodie said. "By the way, they/he pronouns."

"Thanks, you guys. It means a lot to me that you guys are all there for me." I said. "It's been a little...weird. Difficult to comprehend. None of my family besides my mom has visited me yet." I said. "I miss them. I miss my aunts and uncles and my brother. This is the longest time I've been away from them since I got adopted."

"I know it's hard, but you got this. Now...wanna go cause some chaos like nature intended?" Izi asked.