Chapter 25

TW: death

Back at the hospital.

I've started to adapt a new mindset because of the whole cancer thing, with the mindset being that this was my new normal and the medicine and treatments I got were a necessary evil in my life. Mom said that was a good way to go about it, and thinking that way actually helped me keep my spirits up and stay hopeful.

"I feel like I haven't seen the rest of my family in forever. I haven't been to work with you since right before my kidney transplant." I said to my mom as we were in the waiting room. "I feel like the only people I've seen besides doctors are you and my girlfriends. I don't think I've ever even seen that Josie girl from school in person. And my hospital friends.. I haven't seen them in months."

"Hey, Penney, you'll be able to see everyone soon, don't worry. And as for your hospital friends, why don't you text them and see if they're in today? If you're feeling up for it after your treatment, you can go down and see them?"

"I know Bailey is probably here today, she works here. Same with Izi. I don't know about Kate or Elodie, El has been in remission for years and only comes here when Kate does. But hey, I'll text the group chat we have and see what's up." I said.

At that moment, by some weird coincidence, Elodie texted me.

Hey Pen, call me when you get a chance. It's important. Love you.

"Hey Mom?" I asked.

"Yeah?"

"Elodie just texted me and told me to call them for something important. If the doctors call for me, can you tell them I'll be on an important phone call?" I asked.

"Oh, of course, is everything okay?" Dana asked.

"That's the thing, Mom, I really don't know. I'll update you once I get off the phone, I'll be in the bathroom if you need me." I said, walking off and starting to call Elodie.

"Hello?" Elodie said once he answered.

"Hey, it's Penney, I got your text. What's up? Is everything good?" I asked.

Elodie took a deep breath on the other line and said, "Penney, um, there's no easy way to say this, but...it's Katie."

"What do you mean...? El, what happened with Kate?" I asked.

"Penney, um, Katie...she died yesterday. She lost her battle." Elodie said, their voice breaking with tears. "I know you haven't seen her in a while, I know you haven't seen any of us in a while, and I'm so so sorry that your first phone call with any of us had to end up this way, but I just thought you deserved to know." 

What?

"Wait, huh? Oh my God, Elodie, I'm so sorry." I said. "You knew her a lot longer than I have- I can't imagine what you're feeling right now. You know I'm always here for you if you need anything."

"And Pen, I'm always here for you. You have a lot on your plate right now." Elodie said. 

"Thanks El. I love you."

"I love you too, Pen. I'll give you Katie's funeral details if you're...y'know, able to make it." Elodie said. "I have to go, call me if you need anything."

"Okay." I said before hanging up. I walked out of the bathroom to find my mom, tears lining my eyes.

"Penney, baby, are you crying?" Dana said when she saw me. "What's wrong?"

"Mom...Kate's gone. She died yesterday...and now I'm scared that I'm gonna be next."

________

Two Weeks Later

So I did end up going to Katie's funeral, and I was glad I was able to. It felt nice seeing Izi, Elodie, and Bailey again, and it was nice to get some closure. 

But here I was, back at the hospital yet again. And this time it was for some scans, and my mom and I were anxiously waiting for the results.

"Oh God. This part is always so nerve-wracking." I said under my breath.

"I know, sweetie, it's scary for me too. But you always get through it, you'll be okay."

I nodded and the doctor came back with a clipboard under his arm and an optimistic looking smile on his face.

"Penney, Dana, we have some amazing news for you." the doctor said.

"Wait, what? What's happening?" I said.

The doctor smiled widely and cleared his throat. "Penney, we found no evidence of cancer."

No evidence of cancer.

"Is this a dream?" I said while squealing at the top of my lungs, hugging my mom tightly with happy tears escaping both of our eyes.

"It's not a dream. Congratulations, Penney. You fought and you won, and we're all so proud of you." the doctor said, patting my back.

"I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!" Dana said, picking me up and spinning me around.

"I'm proud of myself too, I really am. But Katie, she...she's never going to be able to get this moment. She's not going to be able to ring the bell at the end of the oncology ward." I said, suddenly getting sad.

"I know, Penney, but we can figure something out. We can figure out something for you to do in her memory when you get your special moment tomorrow." the doctor said.

I smiled softly then Dana squeezed my hand.

"Mommy, I'm cancer free. And I have so many people to thank. I'm a survivor.