Chapter 20

Two Months Later

Dana's PoV

Penney's fourteenth birthday is coming up, and it hurts me to say that she's probably gonna have to spend it in the hospital, unless some miracle happens and she suddenly gets better at the snap of a finger. 

It hurts so bad seeing Penney lately, every time I see her, I see my beautiful little girl, the same girl I've known for months and promised to love and protect no matter what, only this version had lines and tubes all over her body, she was thin and weak and frail, and she honestly looked horrible. 

And every time I said, "Hi, Penney, how are you?" I always got the same answer. A weak smile, a wave, and "Good."

But looking into her eyes, I knew the truth. She wasn't good, in fact, she was exactly the opposite. She was in agonizing pain, she was scared for her life, and she was lonely and homesick. 

I was leaning up against a wall, trying to make sure Penney didn't see the tears lining my eyes. I needed to stay strong for her, I didn't want to make Penney more scared than she already was.

"I love you, Penney. I love you so much." I said, hanging up the FaceTime and taking a deep breath. FaceTime was the only way I could really see Penney at this point. Her immune system's way too weak for me to see her in person...and not to mention the radiation therapy.

Finally, for the first time in weeks, I let myself cry. 

________

Penney's PoV

I hate this. I hate this so much. 

I feel lonely, I feel alone. With the restrictions on visitors I have, I feel like I'm in this fight alone, and even though I know I'm not alone and will never be alone, it feels agonizing having no one to hold my hand. No one to hug me, no one to sing to me. 

Not to mention, I'm in so much pain. Physical, mental, emotional pain. I just want this all to be over, I want to be able to go home again, see my family, see my friends, go to school. Heck even if I got assigned a boatload of homework right here and now, it would make me feel better. 

I sighed and leaned back on the pillows, trying to convince myself it was all going to be okay. I looked outside the window at the passing cars and the sunshine and the trees to see if it would distract me, but the IV pole right next to the curtain brought me right back and reminded me where I was and what was happening to me.

I took a deep breath, took a sip of water, and twirled my hair around my finger, my hair that I was 99% sure I was gonna lose soon. I closed my eyes and tried to think happy thoughts and not focus on the pain I was in, but was soon interrupted by my phone going off.

It was a Google Hangouts message sent to my school email.

Hey Penney,
You probably don't know me, but we go to school together. I heard about what happened and what you're going through, and I'm so sorry you have to go through all this pain. I know what it's like to be in the hospital, and it's terrifying, but I just wanted to let you know I'm here for you, even if you just need a friend.
Text me if you need anything!

Who was that?