Chapter 11

I felt absolutely horrible today. And I wasn't sure what was going on. Was I sick, or was I just feeling a little off today? I didn't know, and I didn't want to know.

My stomach was tossing and turning like a waterslide, I was pretty sure I had a fever, I was really nauseous for some reason, and I really didn't feel like eating.

"Good morning, sweetheart!" Dana said, coming into my room. I buried my head in my pillows, not wanting to tell Dana anything or go to school.

"Honey?" Dana asked, rubbing my back in slow circles. "Are you feeling okay?" I sighed and decided to tell the truth. "Not really...I think I might be sick."

"Awww, baby girl. Do you want to stay home from school today?" Dana asked. I nodded with tears in my eyes, my stomach was really starting to hurt. Dana ruffled my hair and kissed my head. "Do you want me to make you some tea? Coffee?"

"Tea would be great, thanks." I said. Dana nodded and started to head to the kitchen. "I'll go call your school and tell them you're not feeling well." I nodded and reached for the TV remote, turning on the TV.

Truth be told, I haven't been feeling well for a few weeks now. My stomach's been hurting on and off, and I've felt like I've had a nagging cold.

"Oh my God." I whispered to myself. "I feel horrible." I started to get dizzy and put my head down. "Oh my God. Oh my God." I said, not being able to deal with it for much longer.

"Hey, sweetie pie." Dana said, setting a mug of tea on the nightstand. "I brought you your tea, is there anything else you need?"

"Mommy...can you stay?" I asked, reaching my hand out and grabbing Dana's. Dana looked at me and said, "Oh honey...I wish I could, but I have to go to work today...are you okay home alone?"

I shook my head and Dana kissed my forehead. "I'll call you when I have time, baby. I love you."

"I-I love you too." I said, right before a wave of nausea went over me and I forced myself to close my eyes.

______

Dana's POV

I had only been at work for an hour when I got a call from Penney.

"Hey, sorry guys, it's Penney, I'm probably gonna need to take this call." I said as my phone was vibrating noisily.

"Why isn't she with us?" Alex asked. I sighed and said, "Penney hasn't been feeling all that well these past few days, it got really bad today and she's staying home from school. She's probably just calling to check in."

I picked up the phone and Penney was breathing heavily over the other end.

"Penney? Baby, what's wrong?" I asked. Penney started crying and said, "Mommy, it got worse."

"Do you want to go to the doctors after I get out of work?" I asked.

"Is there any way you can come home-" Penney started to say, but was cut off by her vomiting.

"Oh my God. I'll be right there." I said. I hung up and then turned to the rest of the cast. "Guys, uh...I'm going to go home. Penney's seriously not feeling well and I think I need to take her to the doctors."

My phone rang again as soon as I was about to leave and I picked it up. "Penney?"

"Mommy...there's a big mass on my tummy...I thought I should let you know...I'm scared." Penney said in hysterics.

"Oh baby...I'm about to leave, okay sweetie? I'll be home in ten minutes. I love you."

"I love you too..."

_________

Penney's POV

So, I ended up at the hospital, shaking and crying in Dana's lap. Dana rubbed my back and shushed my cries, and neither of us paid much attention to the people staring at us in the waiting room.

The doctors made me go through a bunch of tests, and it was bad enough that Dana couldn't be there for them. I was terrified, and everyone was scared that there was something seriously wrong with me.

"Mommy?" I asked. Dana looked down at me and brushed some of my hair out of my face. I leaned on her chest and said, "I'm really scared."

"I know you are, but you're strong. Whatever happens, you'll get through it." Dana held me tighter on her lap and kissed my hair. "I promise."

"Penney Steingold?" a nurse asked, coming towards us with a clipboard. Dana raised her hand and the nurse took a deep breath.

"We have her test results back."