Chapter 5

Penney's POV

My thoughts were going crazy. It felt like my brain was running a million miles an hour, and it was out of control. I couldn't quite remember what happened to me. I mean, the basics were there, but I couldn't remember the details.

I felt myself start to wake up. And as I woke up, I heard beeping. Talking. Random sounds I couldn't quite put my finger on. And then I finally figured it out.

I was in a hospital.

Ironically, for a doctor's daughter, I was terrified of hospitals. They scare me to no end, and I thought I would come off as wimpy for telling anyone. So I just kept the fear quiet, hoping I would appear strong enough.

But this time, I felt the fear take over my body and I started panicking. I shot awake in a sweat, not realizing that Dana was standing right next to me. She looked at me in shock and then ran over to me.

"Shh...shh...it's okay. You're safe. It's alright." Dana said soothingly. I started crying and Dana looked around the room helplessly. She smiled warmly at me and said, "Are you okay with being touched?" I nodded frantically, tears streaming down my cheeks. Dana smiled softly at me and started stroking my hair. I smiled a little, feeling a little more relaxed.

Then it hit me. My AFOs were gone.

"Dana?"

"Yes, sweetheart?"

"W-where are my...m-my A-AFOs?" I stuttered, feeling like I was about to cry again. Dana quickly reached over, grabbed my hand, and started rubbing my knuckles.

"Shh...sweetheart, I'm paying for new ones! Once you're feeling well enough to get up and move around and stuff, you're going to get them fitted and you can choose the color and stuff!" Dana said cheerfully. I started crying again and said, "B-but...s-shouldn't I be the one p-paying?"

"Penney, honey, you don't have to worry about that. Ever. I know you're used to fending for yourself, but you don't have to do that anymore, okay?" Dana said. She kissed my forehead and I smiled sweetly, closing my eyes and drifting off to sleep.

"Millicent?"

No. No, no, no!

"NO!" I screamed, shooting up.

"Penney? What?" Dana asked. I noticed more people in the room as I calmed down a little bit and my eyes started adjusting to the world. I noticed Alex in the corner biting his lip, and I also noticed this little kid I didn't know.

"Millie?" the kid said, in an obvious attempt to make me feel better. I started crying again.

Millie was the nickname my mom called me before she died.

"Max, it's obvious that Penney doesn't like being called that, Millicent is...her deadname!" Alex said. The kid, Max, gasped.

"Why didn't anyone tell me? I must be making her feel terrible! I'm so sorry, Penney. I didn't know." Max said.

"It's okay Max, it's just that...the name Millicent, and especially Millie, brings back some bad memories for me. I much prefer Penney to Millicent." I said, wiping the stray tears from my eyes. God, I really have been crying a lot. "Also Dana? When am I getting out of here?"

"In a day or so, okay? You had a nasty fall." Dana said. I sighed and then Dana smiled at me. "Also, where did the name Penney come from? If you don't mind me asking."

"My...my birth name was Millicent Thyme Van Aller. My mom was the Chief of Medicine at this very hospital, and then she died of a heart attack and my dad walked out. I panicked and decided to change my name to avoid the foster system, which may not have been the smartest idea in the moment, but it worked. And once you took me in, I decided to keep Penney as my permanent name, and here we are." I said. Dana nodded and said, "Do you want me to legally change your name?"

"You would do that?" I said, shooting up with a big grin on my face.

"Of course I would, now, sweetie pie, get some rest. I think we're both sick of being here."

AN: Thanks to @SIXSQUIPSIMP for letting me use her OC Max in my book! (why won't it tag, grr, link to her book will be in the comments!)