Chapter 8

TW: Physical violence and PTSD

Why?

Why won't Justin Spencer leave me alone for once?

He's laughed at me, mocked me, made me cry, and none of the teachers have done anything about it. "Get over it Millicent, it's your fault."

My fault? This is my fault? It's my fault that I came out as pansexual and all Justin's wanted to do since then is make my life absolutely miserable? It's not like he was any nicer to me before I came out, he was just one of those annoying boys. But as soon as the geeky, quiet girl comes out as pansexual to an entire Catholic school? He became an absolute monster.

"What are you doing to me? Leave me alone!" I said.

"It's after school, Millicent. Whatever I do, no one's gonna care." Justin said.

God, just let me get out of here. Mom's probably waiting for me...

Out of all the times Justin has bothered me, this is the only time it's gotten physical. He's never laid a hand on me, and that's only because if he did, he would get in trouble.

"You're faking it."

"Faking what?"

"That whole 'pansexual' thing you have going on? Come on, Millie. You know that's not a thing."

The use of the name Millie made me tear up more than I already was. That nickname was for Mom and Mom only, and hearing my bully of all people use it made me want to punch him in the face even more. But, as they say, two wrongs don't make a right, so I kept silence and stood my ground.

"You're pathetic, Millicent Van Aller."

Then he pushed me down the stairwell, ran away, and turned the lights off before leaving.

I couldn't see anything. Not a bruise forming, not if my glasses were shattered, nothing.

The only thing I knew for sure was that I couldn't feel my legs.

"No..."

________

"No. No. NOOOOO!"

I shot awake and rubbed my eyes. I turned on the lamp and saw my AFOs sitting neatly on the floor. I took a deep breath and grabbed them, starting to put them on my legs.

"It was just a dream." I said to myself. Once I put them on, I slowly walked to Dana's bedroom and knocked on the door.

"Dana?" I said, peeking my head in.

"Penney? Honey, what's wrong...it's 3 in the morning."

I started sobbing. "I'm sorry...I had a nightmare."

Dana turned on a lamp and smiled sweetly at me. "Take off the splints and come here." I did as Dana asked and she gave me a big hug.

"Do you wanna tell me what your nightmare was about? It's completely fine if you don't." Dana asked.

"No, it's fine...so um...my balance issues and the reason I need AFOs...I wasn't born with those. I went to a homophobic Catholic school for most of elementary school. And when I was in fifth grade, I came out as pansexual to my closest friends who I knew would accept me. But, as it is with any school, rumors spread. And this kid named Justin who never seemed to leave me alone even before I came out...he became an absolute monster to me. It was that year when I found out what feeling worthless and alone truly felt like. And the last straw was when he pushed me down the stairs...and it messed up my legs. Long story short, he got expelled and I transferred schools. But I still never got over...what happened."

"Oh my God. Penney...baby...you didn't deserve to go through that. Not at all." Dana said.

I started sobbing my eyes out. Dana pulled me into her and rubbed my back, kissing my hair every so often.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry..."

"Shhh...Penney, love, there's no need to apologize. It was a traumatic event, I get it. And if you ever need to talk, I'm here." Dana said.

I suddenly got sleepy and made myself comfortable.

"I love you, Mommy."

Dana gasped a little and pulled me in closer, kissing my forehead and holding me against her chest.

"I love you too, sweet girl."