Chapter 4

"Do you want me to get you guys some coffees?" I said.

"Sure!" Dana said. "Are you sure you're okay walking by yourself? You know where you're going?"

"Dana, she lived on the streets for about a year." Alex said. "Cut her some slack, she probably knows her way around NYC pretty well." I nodded and Dana handed me a $20 bill, plus some coins just in case. I grinned and adjusted my AFOs. "Bye guys! I'll be back in about 20 minutes!"

"Bye Penney! Get my order wrong and I will throw a napkin at you." Alex said. I laughed and then made my way on the streets.

I smiled and then started walking towards Starbucks. There were so many people walking, but I was in NYC, so that's perfectly normal. I kept walking and decided to look at the marquees and all the signs on Times Square.

Then, I lost my focus. The next thing I knew, I was in an alley in the middle of nowhere.

"Where am I?" I said to myself. I felt my pocket for my phone and then realized it wasn't there.

That meant if I got lost and couldn't find my way back, I was screwed. I sighed and decided to turn around and see if I could find my way back.

Until a bike came from out of nowhere, slammed right into me, and went off.

And then everything went black.

______

"Millicent."

What the hell?

"Millicent. You're home." I blinked open my eyes and then realized Rose was sitting there.

Along with a social worker.

"Did you turn me in?" I snapped. Rose laughed and said, "Of course I did, it was for your safety."

"What- huh? I have a foster mom." I said.

"Not anymore, Millicent. They're putting you in the foster system. Pack up your precious art supplies and get the hell out of here."

I sighed, grabbed my briefcase of art supplies, and walked out, tears brimming my eyes.

_________

I shot awake and tried to adjust my eyes. The world was blurry and every part of my body seemed to hurt in some way. I blinked a few times and then looked down at the ground.

My glasses were completely shattered. Tears started to line my eyes and I tried to get up. But when I tried to take a step, my knees buckled and I fell down.

"The hell?" I said to myself, then I looked down at my legs.

Someone had taken my AFOs right off my legs.

I started sobbing, and I felt more and more lightheaded by the second. I managed to get myself up and was starting to walk towards a crosswalk, using a brick wall as support.

I saw the faint silhouette of a pay phone at the end of the sidewalk. I made my way there, ignoring the shooting pains in my legs.

"Oh, thank God!" I eventually yelled, grabbing onto the phone for dear life.

I put coins in the pay phone, dialed Dana's phone number, and let it ring.

_______

Dana's POV

"Hello?" I said.

"Dana, it's me, I-" Penney's voice said from the other line. She sounded on the brink of tears.

"Penney? What? Where are you? Are you okay?" I said.

"That's why I'm calling...I-I..." Penney said. I heard a crash on the other line and I said, "Penney?"

"I just fell. I'm good."

"What do you mean, you fell?"

"I may have gotten hit with a bike and I may have blacked out in an alley and my glasses may be shattered and my AFOs may have gotten stolen and my foot may be dislocated and I may not have any clue where I am and I may be in a crap ton of pain right now and I may not be able to walk." Penney said.

"I'm sorry, what?" I said. Penney started sobbing on the other line and said, "I don't know where I am...I can't see a thing and I'm super lightheaded."

"Okay, um...you want me to come and look for you?"

"That would be nice, yes." Penney said. I sighed and said, "Don't hang up, I'll be right there. Use your extra money if the time runs out."

Suddenly, I heard a thump on the other line, and the sound of feedback.

And then I realized. Penney probably fainted again.

"Dana? Where are you going?" Alex asked.

"Penney is blacked out in an alley, and I'm going to call an ambulance and take her to the hospital."

"I'm sorry, what?"

"She got hit with a bike and I'm worried about her." I said. I checked the time and sighed.

I really hoped Penney would be okay.