Chapter 16

I slowly opened my eyes, wondering where I was. I was probably either at home or in the hospital, and I hoped and prayed that it was the former. A wave of nausea and exhaustion flooded my body, I hated this feeling more than anything else in the world.

I rubbed my eyes a little and then the beeping of a heart monitor reached my ears. All hope that was in my body fell as I realized I was in the hospital. And with my track record, I had a feeling I wouldn't be going home for a while.

I tried to ignore the sound of the monitor and I tried to listen for if Dana was talking. And if she was, what she was talking about. I heard my name sprinkled in there a few times, which wasn't surprising, and then I heard the word "kidney." Which also wasn't surprising, as my kidneys were literally failing. Even though it hurts to think about, that was my reality, and I had to suck it up for the time being.

"I think she's awake." I heard Dana whisper. She came over to me and kissed my forehead. "Good morning, sleepyhead."

"Hi, Mommy." I said. "What were you guys talking about?" Dana sighed and said, "Well, um...while you were asleep they ran a couple of tests...and I have some good news and some bad news."

"Tell me the bad news first, rip the Band-Aid off. I can handle it." I said. Dana sighed and said, "Well...you're gonna need surgery."

"For what?" I asked, shooting up.

"And that's the 'good' news. You're on the list for a kidney transplant, we just need to find you a match." Dana said.

"Oh." I said. That was not the news I was expecting. Sure, after the transplant, I might not be in the hospital as often anymore, but I was terrified of surgeries and medical procedures in general.

"Do you want me to leave you alone?" Dana asked. I nodded slowly and Dana left the room for a few minutes. The second she left, I heard my phone buzz from under the covers.

Lacey Wagner

Why was Lacey calling me? It was almost midnight in Russia, where she lived. Why did she take time out of her day to call her ex?

"Lacey?"

"Hey, Penney, I just wanted to check in. How's everything going? With...y'know...the cancer?"

I had completely forgotten about my false cancer diagnosis for a minute.

"Oh! Um...it was a false diagnosis. I don't have cancer, but I'm not home free. I'm actually in the hospital right now...um...my kidneys are failing. I'm apparently on the list for a kidney transplant."

"Are you okay?" Lacey asked, and for some reason I could hear a hint of hope in her voice, which confused me. I sighed and said, "Yeah, a little nervous, they just need to find me a match."

"I got an idea."