Chapter 6

Life was seriously looking up for me these past few days. 

I was unfortunately still in the hospital, but according to Dana and the doctors, I was recovering quicker than expected and I was making a lot of progress in physical therapy, even though I absolutely hated it. And though it did suck spending the first half of my summer in the hospital rather than at the Winter Garden theatre with who would soon become my family, I spent most of my time drawing or reading. And some days were actually a lot more fun than I thought they would be.

"Penney! There's someone here to see you." Dana said. I looked confused and then Dana opened the door. 

That girl Asia who I shadowed was here.

"Hey." I said, laughing a little. "What a surprise! I don't mean to be rude, but what are you doing here? How did you know I was here?"

"It was in the newspaper." Asia said, smirking. I giggled and said, "Who reads the newspaper anymore? It's 2019!" Asia cackled and then said, "My dad does, I guess. I saw your name in the paper and was like, 'Wait, I know that girl!' And here we are."

I laughed and said, "Thanks for visiting me, I really appreciate it. It's kinda shocking, you know, because I don't really have any friends..."

"You do now!" Asia said, giggling. Yeah, but I wish we were more than that.

"Yeah...I guess I do." I said. I managed to sit myself up on the pillows and grin at Asia. Asia tapped her foot on the tile floor for a few seconds and then broke the silence. "How are you feeling?"

"Meh. I mean, if I had to put an actual word to it, I guess I'm feeling decent. You know, the occasional pain here and there, but they're giving me painkillers and stuff, and physical therapy's been going good. I want to get out of here, it's been less than a week and I'm already sick of being here."

"Tell me about it." Dana said from the corner. "Not to mention-"

"Yes, Dana, I know I snore, you don't need to tell Asia about it." I said. Asia laughed and said, "I snore too." I smiled, and then I felt my cheeks get hot. Thank God I'm not the palest person in the world, or else Asia would've noticed my blushing.

Asia checked her phone and gave me a quick hug. "I have to go, my dad said I could only be here for a few minutes. I'll maybe come tomorrow afternoon?"

"That would be...amazing. Thanks. Have a good night!"

Asia closed the door and Dana smirked at me. "Your cheeks are oddly pink, Penney. Do I need to call a nurse?"

"Stop with the sarcasm Dana, I have a crush." I said. 

"OOOOOOH!" Dana said. "You bet I'm telling Alex about this. He's gonna flip!" I sighed and said, "Please...don't embarrass me more than you have to. Yes, I kinda like Asia, and I don't know how to tell her. Or when. Or...should I even tell her?"

"Would it help you to know that...I saw a little pink in Asia's cheeks when you two were talking?" Dana said.

"What? Come on, Dana, you're just saying that to make me feel better." I said. Dana laughed and gave me a hug. "I'm not just saying it, I think she's kinda...into you." I sighed and then said, "I'm going to wait to tell her."

"Good idea. Now, get some rest, you have physical therapy tomorrow. We're getting out of this place in a few days."