Chapter 23

"I know it's getting better, Penney, but you're still going to have to stay in the hospital for the time being, okay?"

That was more than okay. Well, backing up. I still hated the hospital, everything to do with it made me sick to my stomach. But knowing I was slowly getting better, knowing that my family could come visit me anytime they wanted (well, when they weren't busy), that made me feel ten times better about the whole situation, as awful as it was.

"Yeah, Mom, that's fine. Did the doctor say anything about friends visiting? Or is it just family only for the time being?" I questioned. Sure, my only friends at the moment were Lacey, Asia, Josie, and my hospital friends, but I haven't seen any of them in forever. I missed them, and all I wanted to do was see them again.

"The doctor said friends were fine, but only two people in the room at a time, you know that. You want to see if Lacey and Asia want to come by? I know you miss them, and I know it might be awkward given that you used to date Lacey, but it might be good for you to see people from your school again." Dana said.

I nodded and grabbed my phone. To be fair, the person I really wanted to see was Josie. I had never seen her in person before, we've just been texting back and forth. We have some of the same classes and teachers, so she's been giving me the work I've missed while I've been in the hospital. We've honestly started to become really good friends, we have a lot in common and she's really nice and funny. 

But on the other hand, Dana was right. Lacey and Asia were some of the first friends I've ever had, and I truly missed them and wanted to see them again. 

"Sure!" I said after a few minutes. "Let me text them, it's Saturday so I'm sure they'll be available."

_______

And to my ultimate delight, Lacey and Asia were available. I was bouncing up and down in my hospital bed, squealing with excitement as I waited for my friends to show up. 

"You happy to see your friends again, Penney?" Dana asked with a smile. I giggled and said, "Mommy, I haven't seen them in months! And they're the best friends I've ever had! Of course I'm happy to be able to see them!"

Dana smiled as someone knocked on the door. "I'll leave you three to have fun, I'll be downstairs in the food court. If you need me, just text. I love you!"

"Alright, bye Mom!" I said. I pulled out my phone and shot a quick text to Lacey and Asia, letting them know that the door was unlocked and they were free to come in. 

"PENNEY!" Asia yelled, sprinting over to me and hugging the life out of me. I laughed and said, "Asia, I missed you too, but I need to breathe!"

"Sorry, I just got excited. How are you? Given the circumstances, I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but it doesn't hurt to ask." Asia said with a smile. I smiled back and said, "Actually, I'm great! I forgot to tell you guys, the chemo's working really well. I had scans a couple of days ago and found out the news yesterday."

"You're cancer free?" Lacey asked with a hint of hopefulness in her voice. I smiled at her and said, "Lace, I'm not totally cancer free, it's just decreasing really fast which is amazing. Wait, Lacey, Asia, I know you may have picked it up from context clues, but how did you find out I had cancer again? I don't think I explicitly told either of you, and I'm sorry about that."

"You wanna tell her?" Asia said, smirking at Lacey. I was confused for a few minutes before I heard Lacey giggling.

"We found out through this girl, Josie, she's in my science class. She was telling me about how you two had become friends and I thought it was really sweet. And the three of us came together and may or may not have started a fundraiser for you? We told your mom a few days ago and made her swear not to tell you until the time was right." Lacey said.

I threw my arms around Lacey and started sobbing. God, I have the most amazing friends, they took the time to try and raise enough money to pay off my medical bills. 

"Thank you. Guys, I can't thank you enough." I said softly while still buried in Lacey's arms. 

Asia giggled and said, "There's no need to thank us, Pen, you're an amazing kid, an amazing kid who deserves to be here." 

I smiled and leaned back on the pillows, looking back and forth between Asia and Lacey with a goofy smile on my face. Asia smiled too and then cleared her throat.

"Hey guys? While we're here, I have something to say to you both." Asia said, her bronze cheeks turning a deep shade of pink.

"You have a crush on one of us?" Lacey said teasingly. 

"What! No?" Asia said, and Lacey and I both knew she was lying. Asia smiled and said, "Well, yeah, but also no."

"Platonic crush? Is that what you're talking about? If so, I'm fine with a QPR of sorts, I'm panplatonic and pansexual." I said. Asia shook her head and giggled again. 

"Just tell us, Allburn! I'm getting impatient!" Lacey squealed. Asia smiled and said, "What if I said that I had a crush on both of you? I'm polyamorous...surprise!"

Lacey took the pillow from me and buried her face in it, and I shot up and yelled, "Me too!"

"I was gonna tell you guys a while ago, but Penney got sick and it didn't seem like the right time." Asia said with a smile. I smiled and said, "What if I told you that I also had a crush on both of you? I didn't know if either of you were polyam so I kinda.. had to pick and choose between the two of you."

"I'm fine with a polyamorous relationship, just gonna put that out there. You know how much I love Penney, despite me breaking up with her. And I kinda love Asia too." Lacey said, finally taking the pillow off her face.

"So it's settled?" Asia said, blushing.

"It's settled." Lacey and I said at the same time. 

"We're girlfriends." Asia said with the biggest smile in the world. 

As I gave Lacey and Asia the biggest hugs in the world, I took joy in realizing that this was the happiest day of my life. Because I don't have just one amazing girlfriend.. but two.