Chapter 12

(TW: Cancer
I'm sorry in advance)

"We have her test results back." I took a deep breath and grabbed Dana's hand for dear life.

"It's okay, Penney, it's gonna be okay." Dana said. I sighed, wondering if I should truly believe her. Part of me had a feeling that things were going to be okay, but the other part of me knew something was seriously wrong.

I had been daydreaming for so long that I didn't realize my feet had taken me to another room. I was sitting in a chair next to Dana and a doctor was sitting was in a chair across from us. The silence that hung over the three of us was awkward and uncomfortable, and I'd much rather get horrible news than sit in this silence for much longer.

"Your child has cancer." the doctor said to Dana.

Dana squeezed my hand just a little bit tighter.

The diagnosis went in one ear and out the other for a slight moment, and five minutes later, it finally hit me.

I had cancer.

"Mommy?" I whispered to Dana. Dana nodded and pulled me into her.

"It'll be okay."

_________

My phone started ringing as Dana was talking to the doctor. I wasn't paying much attention to what they were saying, so I got up to take the call.

"Lacey?" I asked. "Lacey, what's up? It's like...midnight here."

"I'm not 'here' anymore, Penney." Lacey said.

"What are you talking about? Lacey, where are you? Actually, I was just about to call you. I'm in the hospital."

"WHAT?! Pen! Are you okay?" Lacey asked. I sighed and said, "It's a long story, but I have cancer."

"Oh my God." Lacey said. "Penney..."

"It's fine, everyone's saying I'll be okay but I'm not sure if I should believe them anymore. Now answer my question. Where are you?"

"Russia. I'm sorry, Penney, I moved yesterday. It was so sudden and I regret not telling you as soon as I found out..." Lacey said.

"Lacey..." I said. "It's fine."

"No, it's not. I can't do this anymore Penney, I'm sorry. I think we should break up. I can't handle being all the way in another country and not being able to be there for you, especially since Russia's pretty homophobic anyway. I'm sorry, I can't. I love you."

"What? Lacey!"

Click.

"Hey, Penney?" Dana said, coming up to me and giving me a hug. "Are you okay?"

"No." I said, deciding to be brutally honest.

"I know. I know this is scary, it's scary for me too, but we're gonna get through it. Together." Dana said.

"No, you don't understand. My girlfriend, I don't even think you know I have a girlfriend, she broke up with me as soon as I told her the news. So yeah, my life is going great. She said sarcastically." I said.

"Oh my God. I'm so sorry, baby. Was it Asia?" Dana asked.

"No, it was a different girl. Lacey Wagner was her name. She moves a lot and is currently in...Russia." I said.

"Russia?" Dana said. I nodded and Dana gave me a big hug. "I'm sorry. I can't even imagine how hard it is for you right now, dealing with a new cancer diagnosis and a breakup in the same night."

"I feel miserable. Physically and mentally." I said. I sighed and then realized what I had to do. "Hey Mommy? Do you mind if I tell the others myself?"

"Oh, of course. Tell them whenever you're ready." Dana said. I pulled out my phone and called Alex, not even caring that it was almost midnight.

"Hey Alex?" I asked once my brother answered. Alex groaned and said, "Hey Penney, why are you awake?"

"I'm at the hospital...this may come as a shock to you...but I have cancer. I got the diagnosis about an hour ago." I said. "I'm scared.

"Oh my God. Penney...do you want me to come visit you tomorrow if I can?"

"Yeah...that would be great."

"Just remember this, Pen. You're strong, stronger than anyone I know. You're gonna get through this. I love you."

"I love you too, Alex. I'm gonna go to bed." I said.

"Good night, Penney." Alex said before hanging up. I turned to Dana and sighed, trying to prevent myself from crying.

"Hey, why don't you go take a walk to clear your head?" Dana asked. I nodded and walked out of my hospital room, not expecting anyone to be outside this late at night.

"Hey." someone said from behind me with a pretty French accent.

"Yeah?" I turned around and it was a girl with bronze skin and short, choppy auburn hair.

"I know how that feels."