Chapter 4

[Selene]

I feel like a caged bird.

To be specific, maybe a parakeet that's been left alone for too long; I find myself staring at my reflection actually talking to myself.

"Hey girl, how are you?...Oh, I'm fine, just peachy and you?...Great, if you don't consider the fact that all mankind hates my guts, then everything is fine. Thanks for asking!" You see what I mean?

Nut crack...

Since dad--and me (I guess)--became members of the McBane pack, I barely see my dad anymore. He leaves the cottage every five in the morning and comes home exhausted late at night.

"Thanks," Dad says, taking the dry towel I offer him every time he arrives home. I close the door and follow him inside as he sits himself on the couch, closing his eyes to relax. Sometimes I felt like the door man instead of his daughter. 

"How was your day?"

"Tiring," He grumbles.

Well isn't that obvious...

He places the towel over his face and leans his head back.

I just really wanted to talk about something. Anything at all, I've been practically alone for the last couple of days and if I don't break this continuing silence, I think I'm going to go insane.

The only thing that's been keeping me occupied was the number of squares on the ceiling. So far I've counted 64 and that's not the end of it.

"Umm...Are they any good? The McBane wolves, I mean..."

He sits straight, the towel falls onto his lap and studies me, "Why so curious all of the sudden?" I bite my bottom lip cursing at myself for opening my big mouth.

"Just curious," I whisper innocently, not really answering his question, but neither did he.

Touché.

Now he's eyeing me suspiciously.

Run now, Selene! While you have the chance! Retreating to my room, the one dad suggested I take while he sleeps on the folding bed; I twist the knob and step inside hoping to avoid any more awkward exchanges between us.

"Selene," He stops me.

I turn around and face him attend hut. "Ah...yeah?" I almost stuttered.

As if uncertain, he rubs the back of his neck. "I think you need to resume training, I can't have you weak and defenseless while we are here. You will go with me tomorrow."

It was a command that I've never been so excited about.

"Really?" My excited masked, behind the question, but in reality my hands where praising the heavens for finally letting out of this confined jail.

"It was one of my conditions they agreed to remember? You can train with them as long as I'm present. " 

My wolf suddenly woke up from within me and celebrated in glee. She must have realized we were going to be allowed a little freedom and decided to relish the celebration together. 

"Okay." I said, slightly grinning. 

Dad saw my slight smile and stiffened before butting the towel back over his face. "Go to sleep, it's late." 

My throat felt as though I swallowed a rock. I silently went inside my room and closed the door before crawling into my bed. 

Dad saw it again. 

He saw Her in me. No matter how much he tried to forget about her, he can still see her face in me every time I smiled. 

Just go to sleep, Selene and forget about it.