Chapter 34

[Lucca]

"I volunteer." 

"No," this was absolutely absurd. "I won't allow you to do this." 

"You maybe my alpha now, but you weren't the first one I followed. Your father and I were good allies, but I disobeyed him too." 

"That is treason." Derrick pointed his finger at him. 

"It's better than nothing. Alright, Richard...you can do this." Alpha Soren encouraged him.

I snapped my teeth.

He is MY beta, why is Alpha Soren giving him orders?! 

"I can't allow him to do this. I won't allow endanger his life." I growled, thinking about how Selene would feel knowing her father placed himself in a dangerous situation.

Alpha Soren looked at me sternly. "Because he is your mate's father--I understand your concern, but he would be the most likely candidate for this task. His mate--"

"Ex-mate." Grant mumbled.

Alpha Soren cleared his throat, "Ex-mate knows who he is and might consider speaking to him giving us some time to figure out a way in."

Selene is going to kill me. She's going to think I suggested sending her father at our enemy’s door like a Christmas gift. This was not going to go well.

"You don't know what they will do to you! They could kill you on the spot!" I screamed at my stubborn old beta.

"I will escape before anything bad happens." He said nonchalantly. 

"Don't you care about your daughter?" I whispered, afraid that Selene would hear me and run into the room asking what was going on. "She already lost her mother, you want her to loss a father too?"

He looked away from me with shame. "Only I can do this. If I know my ex-mate well, she would not kill me instantly. She's too twisted to give me the sympathy of a quick and painless execution. I will buy you time to slip into their building. They will think I had gone there in an act of anger after seeing my mate's betrayal."

"We will surround the area like a blockade. One signal from you and the first group will move in. The mission is to search, find and go. We will only kill in self-defense, so I better hear only little to none casualties" Alpha Soren explained.

"And how do you know they have them kept there? For all we know they could be somewhere else." I asked.

"I followed one of them to a local pub. The idiot spill just about everything once he got majorly goosed up on alcohol." Nathan chuckled.

"Let's not waste any more time. Let's do this." Grant nodded.

"No." I said again, firmly slamming my fist into the wall. 

"Alpha Lucca, please...I can't go another second without my Martha." Beta Luca looked at me pleadingly. His eyes were red from the lack of sleep, as well as his wolf loosing the brink of sanity. "I know you know how it feels. From one Beta to the other, we understand the consequences to our actions and we usually follow by our Alpha's command. But if it's for the good of the pack, we act on instinct." 

Grant nodded in agreement. "Lucca..." His gaze captured me in total seriousness. "Please allow me to do this. This feeling I have in my heart--the pain I've suffered for nearly a decade--I want to face her. She caused us so much pain when she left our lives. I want to look her in the eyes and truly see the woman has become. I need the closure. And I will tell Selene this is my idea." Grant said to me. "She will not hate you, as much as I do." he smirked.