Chapter 32

[Selene]

"Get your hands off her!" Lucca roared as he struggled to get the three men off him.

Derrick held my wrist a little too tightly and I grimaced at the discomfort I felt. He saw the look on my face and released his hold, giving me an apologetic nod. I sent him an it's okay look, he didn't mean to harm me, it's just his job--like alpha Soren--to follow their rules. No matter how pathetic it may sound.

"Alpha Lucca calm down," Alpha Soren covered his baby's head with one palm and looked down to make sure it was still in peaceful slumber.

"How can you tell me to calm down! She is my mate, damn you!" He struggled again and this time, he was able to push Eric off him enough to free him from their weight. As soon as he was free and on his feet, Lucca charged directly at Derrick and shoved him aside viciously taking away Derrick's grip from my wrist.

"You need to lower your voice," Alpha Soren patted his sons head and rested his palm on the side of its small face.

"I don't take orders from you or anyone." Lucca spat each word out.

Alpha Soren shook his head and stumped down into a seat, releasing a frustrated breath before rocking his baby sleeping peacefully in his arms.

"There is too much going on right now. You think your stressed? I've been stressed almost half my life!" Alpha Soren began lightly tapping his foot to continue the rocking motion for his child. He turned his head to glance at the door where his mate slept. "I would be nothing without her." He paused. "She is like the pure white angel in my life that whispers good advise behind my ear, keeping my demons from wrecking havoc. She knocked my senses right out of me when I first laid my eyes on her." He smiled.

"Now--I have to deal with everything without her! Alpha Lucca, believe me when I say, I know what it means to have your mate by your side. I do not intend on taking Selene away from you, but--there is a but--the council will have a fit about this and it is not my place to overrule them. Our system works similarly to human government. We all vote for what's best. I, as the head alpha, am allowed to word my opinion and sway the ballot but it's like flipping a coin with those old folks. You think me a complete ass, but I'm giving you a sample of the hardships you will face. Their traditions are like carved in stone and worshiped."

I gulped at the seriousness in his voice.

"My daughter has done nothing wrong!" Dad's voice came out rasped. Bile moved up my throat having to watch my usually headstrong father crumble on his knees like an ailing redwood tree. He looked hopeless, but he continued to protect me.

"Dad," I mumbled, wanting to come to his side, but Lucca had me in a tight grip.

Dade remained locked on Alpha Soren's gaze, using every once of energy he had to plead for some mercy on me.

"Let's not dwell on this, as of now. Other lives are at stake and I cannot predict the outcome of this situation. Alpha Lucca, I hope you understand?" He was testing him. Lucca had his guard down and Alpha Soren was warning him not to slip up.

"I-I...understand." But his clenched fist told me he was still thinking about it.

Dad sighed and muttered to himself. "I can't believe this is happening."

Me neither...

This was bound to happen, we knew, but the reality of it was shocking. My life started flashing before my eyes and my fingertips turned cold as I feared my impending future. If they decide to rid of me, I wouldn't want Lucca to follow me. I wanted him to live and keep everything he worked hard to earn. He deserved to be the Alpha of his pack and I didn't want to be the reason he wasn't.