Chapter 27

[Selene]

"Selene, wake up." I felt his warm touch on my shoulder and once I opened my eyes, Lucca was there kneeling in front of me, from the edge of the sofa, like he has done since I feel asleep last night. The dark bags under his eyes meant he had barely slept another night. 

"How are you?" asked his with concern. We both knew what I really meant. How are you fairing with everything the past few days?

He sighed, averting my calculating gaze. I was concerned for him, but it felt like he didn't want to accept my feelings. I don't blame him--I have the same issues too. We are so much alike, like he said. "Everything happens for a reason, I just have to learn how to deal with it." 

I was suddenly feeling brave. Cupping his chin. I forced him to look at me. "You are not alone...remember? i thought you told me that yesterday. I'm here and I don't plan to let you deal with this alone." 

My heart swelled when I saw the look of pride in his face and I thought i would melt like a puddle. 

"Yeah, I did say that." He smirked. He grasped my wrist and placed his other hand over my hand that touched his chin. He held my hand warmly with both of his and kissed the inside of my palm, watching me as he did so. 

"So is this what we do?" I asked his flushed.

"What do you mean?" 

I recoiled my hand away from his grasp and he appeared slightly disappointed. 

"As mates, all we do is be there fo each other's backs. Comfort, guidance, friendship..."

"My parents loved each other, their mating was not only a partnership. It was more than words can describe. I never thought how powerful fate can be until I realized I needed you." He took my hand again, but this time he held it firmly so I would not escape. "I want us to have a type of love my parents had for each other." 

I gulped. "I can't...love you--

He didn't even let me finish. A growl escaped his lips and next thing I knew, I was pinned on the sofa with both hands caged between my head and Lucca hovering over me. 

"You may not love me now, but eventually i will win your heart completely. I don't care how long it takes, as long as you stay with me." 

"And I will." I assured his. "But I didn't say I won't love you, It's just..." I blew a breath to stop the tears constricting my throat. "I don't think I know how to love you." I chocked. My confession felt like a large dam of contained emotions blew up with in me and I wanted to confess everything to this man--my mate. 

"My mother loved me, or I thought she did before she realized her only child was a monster. She left and a part of my dad left with her. He was never the same since she ran away and disappeared. For the past half-decade, I lived in this dim bubble. I forgot what it felt like to be loved; I forgot how to love!"

Lucca said nothing, but he held me in his arms as I gripped him tightly as if he were my life raft. He was heavy against me, but I didn't complain. I wanted his where he was and I didn't want him to leave me either. 

"I love you." he said softly. "And if you don't believe me, I will prove it to you every day from now on. Selene, love is such a complex thing. You don't can't find love, it has to come to you. And it might kick you in the arse when you least expect it. Your mother was blind. She didn't see the treasure she left behind, but I'm glad I found it." 

I smiled. "Is this a part of your plan to prove to me you love me?' 

"Barely." He lifted his head and then dipped down to kiss the side of my lip. I flushed shyly. "i enjoy seeing you uncomfortable when I kiss you."