Chapter 45

[Selene]

I didn't know what absolute fear felt like until I learned first hand the pain of being separated from my mate and probably never seeing him again. Right now, this fear that has me frozen stiff is nearly as painful as that. Knowing these last few hours together could be our last.

"Relax, I'll be right here with you." Lucca caresses the top of my hand, which was held tightly within his grasp.

He says that now, but when they ask him to leave the room, he surely can't refuse. Unless he is stubborn enough to defy their order, like I know he will.

I nod in response because my mouth doesn't seem to want to move. Lucca being here, standing right next to me and holding my hand, helped me gather just a little amount of strength to stay standing at least.

"Is this her?" The old man with crow's feet creases on the corner of his eyes stood up and rounded the table. He looked to be in his eighties, with sprouting dry grey hair. For an elderly man, he walked across the room with an aristocratic stance.

It felt like I was in the middle of a thanksgiving feast with a bunch of wolves and I was the roasted turkey. Surrounding the table were a dozen cast-eyed men with their gazes intently on me. One one of the occupied seats, Alpha Soren sat with his arms crossed over his chest. His eyes scanned across the room full of people.

After last night, Alpha Soren invited us to stay in his home and he graciously allowed the men in Lucca's pack to dorm in the empty guest rooms. The house was astonishingly large and much grander than Lucca' sub-pack. But even with the large space, a house with two packs created a endless buzz of noise. If it weren't for Alpha Peyton's strict curfew, the noise would have woken the nearest hibernating beast.

"My main house is just as large as this." Lucca told me earlier when he saw the dazed look I had when I first entered the house. Was he jealous?

The werewolf council arrived the next day and by the end of the day, I will find out my fate-Lucca's fate as Alpha.

"Is it true that you are human?" Someone asked rather angrily.

I couldn't pinpoint who asked the question, because there were so many people talking at once.

Lucca growled at our audience. "Address my mate with respect!" His grip tightened and his shoulders tensed. His entire body braced as the old man made a couple steps closer to stand merely five inches from us.

"I am half-human." The volume of my voice didn't waver, although my whole body felt like it would collapse at any moment under the scrutiny of these people.

"And the little boy is just like you." He was referring to Hunter.

"My brother, yes, he is just like me."

Of to the side, I hear short conversation. "I can't believe she survived this long. Who would have thought a half-human could withstand the power of a wolf!"

"Her father is that rogue Beta." Another voice said.

"That man defied our rules to be with that human! We should have killed him the moment he was found!"

The room suddenly chorused with commotion as soon as that statement was made. There were cheers coming from half the crowd hoping for "justice" to be served. Were they thinking about killing my dad?! This was totally absurd!

A swoosh went past me and next thing I knew, Lucca grasped the collar of the man's shirt and the cheering ceased like someone had pushed the mute button on the TV.

'Lucca, no!" I exclaimed.

He didn't listen. "What the hell is this? How is this supposed to be fair? You geezers sound like a bunch of snot nose boys in a tree house. Is this how you settle court matters? Someone suggests something so outrageous and you all just applause the notion? This is not the right way to justify a court case! The werewolf community is based on a bunch of idiots?!"